• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pain and Suffering Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

martafunny1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I was rear ended in my car and the other ladies insurance paid for my car to be fixed and one medical bill for neck injuries. The medical bill actually went to a collection agency before I could get the insurance company to pay it. What is the standard for pain and suffering settlement, if any? Equal the amount of the medical bill? Or 2 or 3 times? Because the insurance is saying I haven't "had any pain or suffering"... If they should pay something, how do I get them to pay?

ccarter

I don't have any advice for you but thought I would share a similar story with you.
Last year I was involved in a car accident where the driver hit me in the rearend, it put my car off in a ditch, I had to be taken out through the passenger side, I was the driver of my car, and taken to the hopital by ambulance. I have had several doctor appointments, some physical therapy, and 2 MRI's done because to this day I still have left shoulder pain. The MRI is showing nothing abnormal with my shoulder so I am having a hard time proving that it is still bothering me. Anyway, soon after my accident I hired an attorney to handle my injury claim. Well 13 months later I am still waiting. They have sent a demand, the insurance company counter offered for WAY below what we were asking, and now they are deciding should this go to court, which may take up to two MORE years. I was hoping that by hiring an attorney it would be settled before now, but the insurance company is being difficult. I have even had to stop working because of my shoulder and that doesn't seem to matter whatsoever. I think my attorney is dragging their feet, but they assure me that it takes this long to get it done. It's very irritating, because while the attorney's were supposed to take care of the medical bills not being sent to me, they haven't, and they are threatening collection now. It's pretty aggrivating.

Until you receive your settlement....pay what you can to avoid collection. If that means setting up payment arrangements...so be it. That is if you care about your credit. That's what I did.

teflon_jones

Based on the brief information in your post, it sounds like you had a mild case of whiplash. This doesn't merit any pain and suffering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">