• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paperwork guidelines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nny2k

I am getting ready to file for divorce in Pennsylvania and have all the documentation electronically from an online site. I read somewhere that the courts require that the paperwork be printed on yellow or blue bond paper? Is this still accurate or can I use standard paper to file?

Also I have the original marriage certificate not a certified copy. I believe this to be acceptible but wanted to double check.

I'd hate to file and pay my fee only to have the paperwork rejected and have to pay all over again! :(

Thanks in advance

Joe

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nny2k said:
I am getting ready to file for divorce in Pennsylvania and have all the documentation electronically from an online site. I read somewhere that the courts require that the paperwork be printed on yellow or blue bond paper? Is this still accurate or can I use standard paper to file?

Also I have the original marriage certificate not a certified copy. I believe this to be acceptible but wanted to double check.

I'd hate to file and pay my fee only to have the paperwork rejected and have to pay all over again! :(

Thanks in advance

Joe

My response:

Joe, call the court clerk in the courthouse where you intend to file your paperwork. The clerk will have pamphlets concerning the "court rules" for pleadings. Ask for a copy or go pick it up.

IAAL

annefan

Also, check with the county court prothonotary where you will be filing, you might need a Family Court Cover Sheet along with your Petition, Affidavit of Service, Affidavit of Consent, etc. etc.

N

nny2k

Great thanks for the quick responses. I've already gotten the Civil Cover sheet for my county and will pick up the court rules document you mentioned when I go in tomorrow.

Any insight on the Marriage Certificate? Will the original be acceptable?

Thanks again

Joe

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nny2k said:
Great thanks for the quick responses. I've already gotten the Civil Cover sheet for my county and will pick up the court rules document you mentioned when I go in tomorrow.

Any insight on the Marriage Certificate? Will the original be acceptable?

Thanks again

Joe

My response:

You shouldn't have the original Marriage Certificate. The original was supposed to be filed with the County Recorder's Office right after you were married. What happened?

You should NEVER file an original document with the court, because you'll never get it back. Always, always, file a "certified copy."

IAAL

annefan

The original copy is acceptable...but if you want to retain one, I'd recommend you obtain a certified copy from the county court in which it was issued.

N

nny2k

Ok, the document I have has the word 'Original' stamped on it. We have already ordered a certified copy but it hasn't arrived yet.

So according to Ann it would be ok to use the original I have and when the certified copy arrives place that back in my safe?

Thx
Joe

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nny2k said:
Ok, the document I have has the word 'Original' stamped on it. We have already ordered a certified copy but it hasn't arrived yet.

So according to Ann it would be ok to use the original I have and when the certified copy arrives place that back in my safe?

Thx
Joe

My response:

Joe, read my profile. Click on the button, below. Then, reread my last response to you. Then, answer my question. Then, tell me who's advice you think you should follow.

IAAL

N

nny2k

Ok I read your profile and humbly submit to your experience. (Please take that comment lightheartedly as it was intended)

I'm here asking questions for that reason. I'm not the educated one on these matters.

As to the question "What happened?"
We recieved this certificate via mail and just assumed we needed to place it in our safe to hold onto. Were we supposed to file this ourselves?

If that is the case then our mistake caused it to not be filed.

Based on your recommendation I plan to show up in person to the county courthouse tomorrow to pay for a certified copy of our certificate with which to file the paperwork. I will bring the original with me in case they say we never filed it. But I don't believe that is the case.

Thx
Joe

N

nny2k

Paperwork filed

Ok so I went and acquired a copy of the marriage certificate and followed all the rules and successfully filed this morning, thanks for the help.

I'm looking over the next steps and find I may have made a mistake in that I didn't copy the certified marriage certificate. When I send the papers to my ex do I need to have a certified marriage certificate or a copy included?

Also in the copy the Affidavit of Military Service needs to be notarized and I did get the original notarized for filing however I did not notarize the copy to be sent to her, should I have?

Do I need to go back to the courthouse?

Thanks in advance... again

Joe

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">