• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paperwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tvolt1

Minnesota

My mother in law is divorcing fther in law. He is a self employed drunk who doesnt have all the necessary paperwork. He is unable to get all tax info and life insurance. They are in agreement on what they will be spliting (house and 401k) all else just keep what is theres. Can they proceed with divorce if he cant supply all paperwork?

LdiJ

Minnesota

My mother in law is divorcing fther in law. He is a self employed drunk who doesnt have all the necessary paperwork. He is unable to get all tax info and life insurance. They are in agreement on what they will be spliting (house and 401k) all else just keep what is theres. Can they proceed with divorce if he cant supply all paperwork?
Of course they can. However, it might not be wise to do so. Has your mother seen all of their joint tax returns and has your mother verified that all of the taxes have been paid for all joint tax returns? If they have never filed joint returns then that may not be an issue, but that would be one very important reason to get all tax info. If his self employment has caused them to jointly owe (due to joint tax returns) tens of thousands of dollars over multiple years, and those dollars have not been paid, then your mother will remain equally liable for the tax debt, even after they divorce.

They can't even agree that it is all his debt. The IRS won't care what they have agreed. The IRS (and the state too) will continue to go after both of them.

Just Blue

Minnesota

They should discuss this with their respective attorney's.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Minnesota

This has nothing to do with you - the worst thing you could do is get involved in other people's legal problems. As Blue said they each need to be dealing with their attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">