• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

saddie

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My ex has not contacted my son for over 11 months. he is past due on his child support. I do get some support from him but never the full amount. My question is......Is it true that after 1 year of no contact it could be considered child abandonment? Please help.

S

saddie

parent rights

So even if the s*b pays less than the amount he owes each month, he can walk in and out of my childs life as he pleases and screw with his mind. Dang......Something is definitely wrong with this picture.

JETX

"Is it true that after 1 year of no contact it could be considered child abandonment?"
*** No. As long as he is not the "parent, guardian or other person charged with the care or custody", he cannot be charged with abandonment.

Missouri Code:
"Abandonment of child in the first degree, penalty.
568.030. 1. A person commits the crime of abandonment of a child in the first degree if, as a parent, guardian or other person legally charged with the care or custody of a child less than four years old, he leaves the child in any place with purpose wholly to abandon it, under circumstances which are likely to result in serious physical injury or death.

2. Abandonment of a child in the first degree is a class B felony. "

and
"Abandonment of a child, second degree--penalty.
568.032. 1. A person commits the crime of abandonment of a child in the second degree if, as a parent, guardian or other person legally charged with the care or custody of a child less than eight years old, he leaves the child in any place with purpose wholly to abandon it, under circumstances which are likely to result in serious physical injury or death.

2. Abandonment of a child in the second degree is a class D felony. "

Accept the fact that he IS the childs OTHER biological parent and has ALL the rights entitled to him by the court..... whether he pays child support or not. And whether he sees the child (or pays the support) or not, his biological rights as a father don't just 'terminate'.

VeronicaGia

Re: parent rights

saddie said:
So even if the s*b pays less than the amount he owes each month, he can walk in and out of my childs life as he pleases and screw with his mind. Dang......Something is definitely wrong with this picture.
Ditto Jetx. Also, he does not have to pay to see his child. Support and visitation are separate issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">