• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental abuse by son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I need some advice. I live in New Jersey. My brother (age 43) and my parents (mother -age 68 & father age 75) live in Florida in the same house. My brother- who is an alcoholic has been both physically & emotionally abusing my parents. He has physically assualted them in private and in front of witnesses. My father (age 75) is frail and in poor health. My parents refuse to call the police or press charges when the police do come to the house. He lives in their home and believes he is untouchable and can treat them as he pleases. As their daughter - what can I do to stop this madness? I fear for their safety. I'm afraid he is going to kill them in one of his drunken rages. I'm prepared to go to any lengths to get him away from them. Or have him locked up. I need some direction. What can I do?



Move your parents in with you or posibly get them into a nursing home for health reasons.

I was in a simmilar situation and had to go back home I moved my Dad into a adult foster home because he was in danger and he didn't want to live with me. ( I lived far away from rest of family & friends )
He had no money and it was roughf but I knew he was safe and he was able to spend the rest of his life in a safe place close to his friends.

Check into all of the options that your parents have avalible to them and have a meeting with everyone in the family to discuss options.

I wish you the best because it's not going to be easy, your parents deserve to be safe!


Write the FL DA and apprise him/her of the situation and why you think your parents are refusing to press charges. The DA or domestic violence unit may be able to help. At the very least, they'll investigate your brother some. They may just start looking for his car to pull him over for DUI.

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential