• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Debt obligations? please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

a_fbetafood

What is the name of your state? Colorado
hi. i have a question regarding parental debt. My parents have a great deal of debt including numerous maxed out credit cards. They have no savings and no retirement. What happens when they pass away? Do I need to make arrangements to make certain all of that debt does not fall on my family? I don't have a clue how we could manage it. I have tried counseling them numerous times but to no avail. Every time they get any money they get more in debt. We are not co-signed or named on any of their property or credit cards, I am just wondering if we can be pursued for this debt later. Is there some kind of insurance we can get? Thanks for your help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

a_fbetafood said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado
hi. i have a question regarding parental debt. My parents have a great deal of debt including numerous maxed out credit cards. They have no savings and no retirement. What happens when they pass away? Do I need to make arrangements to make certain all of that debt does not fall on my family? I don't have a clue how we could manage it. I have tried counseling them numerous times but to no avail. Every time they get any money they get more in debt. We are not co-signed or named on any of their property or credit cards, I am just wondering if we can be pursued for this debt later. Is there some kind of insurance we can get? Thanks for your help.

My response:

Take a deep breath, and a sigh of relief. You're not responsible for the debts of your parents. Unless there's money in their Estate after each of them dies to pay off, or pay toward their debts, then the debts die right along with them.

IAAL

nextwife

AS their estate is unlikely to be left with any assets, although awkward, you may want to talk them into funeral prepaid plans, so you don't get stuck with that expense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">