• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parental rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?New Hampshire
My son, 16 yrs old, was on probation until he violated curfew several times and other things. He is now in a shelter due to violation of probation and the probation dept. has had him interviewed at 2 longer term placements. He has chosen one because it is closer to his friends/other family members. I feel this would make his problems worse. I have made my feelings known to the probation officer and today I come home to a package on the door with intake papers for this particular placement. Do I have any rights in the decision making for him any longer? He is where he is because of his poor choices, but probation doesn't seem to be too involved and states that this is where my son wishes to go. I have to go to court in 2 days and would hope that I would legally have some say into where he would end up. I have had physical custody of him for 3 years. His mother is not involved other than a phone call every other month or so. Isn't there some law to help protect my rights as a parent? And can they let him make his own choice even though he is a minor? Please help me..............................


Junior Member
I dont know about NH laws but in LA, it is as follows, once is in custody of PO ie state, they have control of your son. Sounds like he has been interviewed at the different resident facilites to see if he actually qualifies to be able to reside there. Once a facility will accept them then it is the DYS, Dept of Youth Services to place them at which one they feel appropriate. Once this is done he will have a regular schedule of review to see if he has made any improvement in the areas the PO, Judge, Counselor, decided he needed help in. At that point once the review is done, he MAY be able to return home.. But in Louisiana, the whole decision is done with Court and PO and Counselor's recommendation. With him violating his probation they feel a resident facility is better suited to control him. Re-educate him in proper attitude.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential