• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents in Car Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Florida

My parents were in a car accident on August 31, 2000. Both parents were hospitalized and injured. My mother was disabled because of the accident. The driver was under the influence when she left her job(at a nightclub). Is it too late to file a civil suit against her? We spoke to a lawyer when the accident happened and they said we had no case. The vehicle was totalled and she had no proof of insurance at the time of the accident. Is there anything we can do? Please help.

Thank you.

Lynx 36

Quote: "Since the at-fault driver didn't have insurance at the time, the only other option is to file a small claims against her."

If there was a lawsuit on a personal injury it certainly wouldn't be in small claims court.

I haven't answered her question as I don't know the statute of limitations in FL. I read on here before about that state and I thought it was two years but not positive. She may be too late in trying to sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential