• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents will possibly try to withhold my property.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

j2daA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Hi, my boyfriend and I had some legal issues, and had to rent out my condo on very short notice. My boyfriend was in custody and the only help I had was my parents.

My boyfriend gave me permission over the phone to start to sell what I could of various tools, electronics, etc. Suddenly all valuables started to quickly start disapeering. First blame went on scumbags who knew I was either alone, or not home. Little did I know My parents were operating under what could be referred to as a "hidden agenda"; Taking away any means of financial survival I could possibly retain after wat amounted to a significant loss of assets and means, all in an attempt to railroad me into leaving the state and living in what is essentially a rehab for no less than 14 months. I was coerced into signing a power of attorney, which within hours resulted in my parents taking ownership of my house. They forced me to pack up everything I owned and put in one of two places. 1 being a storage unit I cannot access, or even know the location of, or at my parents house. Knowing I had no way to generate income, that the sole generator of my households income was in jail, and they were my only option other than living on the streets they proceeded to remove all options other than "going away".
Flash forward a few weeks, my boyfriend posts bond and very humbly doesn't dwell on the thousands of dollars of missing stuff. Asking about only The few things he needed for work, or were of value only to him. Other than a handful of stuff that was basically put into a "trash" pile, nothing was returned, and my father told him most was stolen out of the garage and he had no idea were it is. Flash forward a few days, I find a key that opens a locked storage shed in my parents back yard (Im still living there, my BF is not), inside is basically all the valuables that was assumed stolen by thieves. I was threatened into returning the key to them, and they then damn near kidnapped me, and transported me to a facility that I left almost immediately. Within 12 hours. Now, my personal stuff is still in their house, the rest of my belongings being in that shed, or a storage unit unknown to me. I am staying with my boyfriend, with no cloths, nothing, and my parents in a cold, hostile, calmness refuse to let me collect any of our stuff.

I have several questions about my situation. What property rights did my Boyfriend have while he was incarcerated, and being released after 3 weeks, and formally requesting his property returned to him, my parents not only refused to do so, lied and denied having anything in their possession. what can he do to ensure it returned to him, or the value re-payed? Also, after me not coming back home to their house for around 3 days due to wide variety of legal and personal threats being made twords me, how can i legally return home and collect my stuff and make an attempt to either inventory my BFs stuff (to help prove it was there in the event my parents try to relocate or sell it off) or collect it for him? For example, tomorrow they will both be out of the house. What are my legal boundaries pertaining to gaining access to the house without keys, trying to get in unlocked windows, etc.
Also, if I were to take them to small claims court, what would I have to do to ensure that they'd be responsible for any loss of property caused by them.
The drama is much more complicated than this, and Ill be following up with questions in real-state law, forgery, and bank fraud forums. Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why didn't you report the theft to the police? Why didn't you report the "kidnapping" to the police? Why didn't you report the drama to Bravo for a new reality show?

j2daA

Why didn't you report the theft to the police? Why didn't you report the "kidnapping" to the police? Why didn't you report the drama to Bravo for a new reality show?
I apologize, as I typed the OP it was hard to refrain from allowing my emotions to stray the info away from the legally relevant details. Tho I imagine you didn't have much intention outside of poking fun at my retardedly dramatic situation, thanks for helping me see the need to be more literal in my descriptions in order to get the most relevant and factual advice. Tho it was nice to vent to a computer screen instead of a person. The screen didnt have to struggle not to slap me in the face and tell me im dumb, causing weird facial expressions, and twitches.

Im not sure why I never considered calling the cops when I thought it was just some tweakers taking things. Probably because there was no evidence to point to any certain direction so in my experience **** like that goes unsolved. Not to mention I had enough police interaction when this all initially went down to last me forever. But now I am sure it was my parents, id like to avoid doing so. But another quesiton would be, if I did file a police report, what would I have to prove? That they had the property, and upon being asked to return it, dishonestly denied having ever had possession?
of it

quincy

I apologize, as I typed the OP it was hard to refrain from allowing my emotions to stray the info away from the legally relevant details. Tho I imagine you didn't have much intention outside of poking fun at my retardedly dramatic situation, thanks for helping me see the need to be more literal in my descriptions in order to get the most relevant and factual advice. Tho it was nice to vent to a computer screen instead of a person. The screen didnt have to struggle not to slap me in the face and tell me im dumb, causing weird facial expressions, and twitches.

Im not sure why I never considered calling the cops when I thought it was just some tweakers taking things. Probably because there was no evidence to point to any certain direction so in my experience **** like that goes unsolved. Not to mention I had enough police interaction when this all initially went down to last me forever. But now I am sure it was my parents, id like to avoid doing so. But another quesiton would be, if I did file a police report, what would I have to prove? That they had the property, and upon being asked to return it, dishonestly denied having ever had possession?
of it
When items started disappearing from your house, you should have reported the thefts to the police at that time. Now that you know who the thieves are, you can still report your goods as stolen - and you can include your parents' names as the thieves, letting the police know that they are keeping your possessions from you.

The police will investigate.

You will probably want the police report to back up your claims if your parents refuse to return the stolen items to you and you decide the next best course of action is to sue your parents for the return of your goods.

You can consult with an attorney in your area for a review of all facts and to learn what options make the most sense for you considering these facts.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">