• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Park use in subdivision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mams

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I live in a subdivision that has 3 park areas that were deeded to all of the homeowners in the subdivision in 1925. Two of the parks are well defined, one is not. The homeowner to the right of the park area has been maintaining the park for at least 13 years. I used to be in real estate, and I seem to remember that if someone maintains a piece of property for a certain amount of time, they may claim it as their own. Is this correct? If so how much time? and can we stop this? The township assessing dept. still shows it as a park.

HomeGuru

mams said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I live in a subdivision that has 3 park areas that were deeded to all of the homeowners in the subdivision in 1925. Two of the parks are well defined, one is not. The homeowner to the right of the park area has been maintaining the park for at least 13 years. I used to be in real estate, and I seem to remember that if someone maintains a piece of property for a certain amount of time, they may claim it as their own. Is this correct? If so how much time? and can we stop this? The township assessing dept. still shows it as a park.

**A: the term that you are looking for is titled adverse possession.
Now go ahead and do the research.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">