• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parked car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Michigan

My son's car (86 Cougar) was hit while it was parked in front of the house. He has no fault, and no collision, but the girl's insurance company did agree to pay for the damage since it was parked.

The question is, if the car is considered to be totalled, can we request a replacement car instead? Since the car is old, we know we can't find him another car for what they will give him for it, that will run okay, and look decent.

I just think that, since it was of no fault of his, he should at least be able to have a similar car without paying extra money.

Also, her insurance said they would have given him a rental, but he is only 18, and rental car companies won't rent to him. Is there some way I can get reimbursed for driving him back and forth to work and school?


Senior Member
"The question is, if the car is considered to be totalled, can we request a replacement car instead?"

No. they are only responsible for paying you the value of the car. Since it is so old you can expect a low offer from the adjuster. Try to find a similar car in your newspaper or local car trader magazines. Then you will know what is a reasonable offer.

You can keep a log of the miles and request reimbursement. Most adjusters will not have a problem.


Senior Member
That is the price you pay for carrying your state's mandatory minimum coverage. We all want to save a few bucks today not worrying about the future. I recently sold a decent but high mileage 87 T-bird for $750 so I would imagine you didn't get much for a Cougar either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential