• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parked car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hmarcan25

Hi,

I'm from Springfield, Massachusetts a few days ago I was in a car accident, we were struck by a pvta bus. We spun out hit a parked car and the parked car hit another parked car in front of it. My question is am I responsible for the damages on both parked cars? I heard that the first parked car would be responsible for the second car.

Thank you.

justalayman

Whomever is at fault for the initial accident is liable for all associated damages unless a driver of any of the secondary collisions may be considered to have contributed to the incident.

Generally each person hit makes a claim against all prior vehicles involved in the accident.

In your situation, whoever is responsible for the initial accident will be liable for all following damage caused since the secondary collisions involve parked cars.

Since there are no drivers in the two parked cars and an inanimate object cannot be liable for the accident, that means the owners of the parked cars have no liability

LdiJ

So, in other words, if the pvta bus was at fault for hitting you, then the ptva bus would be at fault for everybody's damage. If you were at fault for the pvta bus hitting you then you are at fault for everybody's damage.

adjusterjack

Hi,

I'm from Springfield, Massachusetts a few days ago I was in a car accident, we were struck by a pvta bus. We spun out hit a parked car and the parked car hit another parked car in front of it. My question is am I responsible for the damages on both parked cars? I heard that the first parked car would be responsible for the second car.

Thank you.
I agree with the others that you are likely not at fault.

But you still need to report the accident to your insurance company so your claims people can investigate and prepare a defense for you in case somebody point the finger at you. It's for your own protection, it's what you pay for, and it's a contractual requirement of your policy.

Just Blue

But you still need to report the accident to your insurance company so your claims people can investigate and prepare a defense for you in case somebody point the finger at you. It's for your own protection, it's what you pay for, and it's a contractual requirement of your policy.
I don't think that's what the others were saying. OP never stated that the PVTA bus was at fault. OP just said s/he was hit by it. For all we know OP caused the accident . ;)

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

A minor quibble: it is not clear from OP's post whether OP was or was not at fault. They might bot be at fault at all, or they might have failed to yield the right of way to the pvta bus and are at fault.

What everyone else was clear about is that the owners of the parked cars weren't at fault/liable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">