• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking citation before I owned vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annnot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Oregon

On 12/23/2014I recieved a letter from Santa Rosa California for a parking ticket dated 06/09/2012 on a vehicle I didn't buy until March of 2014. I sent in proof, title, and bill of sale from the previous owner. Today I got another letter raising the amount of the ticket threatening me with a collection agency and a DMV hold. I called them and they said they did not get the information I sent already so now I am sending it again by registered mail. They couldn't tell me why it has taken them over 2 years to find who owns this vehicle, I don't have the money to pay the fine and I don't want this on my credit. I can't contest it online because you only have 21 days to contest a ticket. Any suggestions on what I can do, I haven't even been to California in over 30 years and I have the proof I didn't own the vehicle then I am sure they know thaqt because it is printed on the title, they had to do some kind of title search to even come up with my name. So stressed over this. :(:confused:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Oregon

On 12/23/2014I recieved a letter from Santa Rosa California for a parking ticket dated 06/09/2012 on a vehicle I didn't buy until March of 2014. I sent in proof, title, and bill of sale from the previous owner. Today I got another letter raising the amount of the ticket threatening me with a collection agency and a DMV hold. I called them and they said they did not get the information I sent already so now I am sending it again by registered mail. They couldn't tell me why it has taken them over 2 years to find who owns this vehicle, I don't have the money to pay the fine and I don't want this on my credit. I can't contest it online because you only have 21 days to contest a ticket. Any suggestions on what I can do, I haven't even been to California in over 30 years and I have the proof I didn't own the vehicle then I am sure they know thaqt because it is printed on the title, they had to do some kind of title search to even come up with my name. So stressed over this. :(:confused:
I would give this more time. Mail delivery over the holidays was slow and it is reasonable to believe that the documents you sent, showing you did not own the vehicle at the time of the ticket's issuance, were not received before the second letter was sent.

annnot

I would give this more time. Mail delivery over the holidays was slow and it is reasonable to believe that the documents you sent, showing you did not own the vehicle at the time of the ticket's issuance, were not received before the second letter was sent.
Thanks for your reply :)
They only gave me until Friday 1/16 to pay this or I get a DMV hold, not sure what this is. I have called them both times and told them I didn't own this vehicle asked questions about why it took so long but they have no answers for me. Today I sent off proof again, this time I used registered mail and they will get it on 1/15, I sure hope this works.

quincy

Thanks for your reply :)
They only gave me until Friday 1/16 to pay this or I get a DMV hold, not sure what this is. I have called them both times and told them I didn't own this vehicle asked questions about why it took so long but they have no answers for me. Today I sent off proof again, this time I used registered mail and they will get it on 1/15, I sure hope this works.
I hope it works for you, too. :)

A DMV hold, as a note, means that a driver is unable to renew their driver license until such time as whatever led to the hold is remedied.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">