• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking citation - Has my Name but i never owned this vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daytrons

What is the name of your state? CA

I received a parking citation from Irvine but i live close to LA. I have never owned this vehicle but the delinquent parking violation noticed was sent to me with my name on it. Im very confused as to what to do.

Do i contest it? Will it go on my DMV record? and if i do contest it how do i prove that i do not own this vehicle?

I own two vehicles both through KIA - (Hyundai financial). The car is not even close to what i own. The ticketed car is a Silver Hyundai Elantra. I own a Black Optima and a Silver Sorento. License plate is on both my cars are not close to what the Elantra is.

CdwJava

I suspect that someone wrote down the wrong license plate number and YOUR plate was somehow connected to it (perhaps via erroneous data entry).

As stated, definitely worth contesting.

I note you state you do not own the vehicle in question. But, is it owned by someone you know?

daytrons

What is the name of your state? CA

I received a parking citation from Irvine but i live close to LA. I have never owned this vehicle but the delinquent parking violation noticed was sent to me with my name on it. Im very confused as to what to do.

Do i contest it? Will it go on my DMV record? and if i do contest it how do i prove that i do not own this vehicle?

I own two vehicles both through KIA - (Hyundai financial). The car is not even close to what i own. The ticketed car is a Silver Hyundai Elantra. I own a Black Optima and a Silver Sorento. License plate is on both my cars are not close to what the Elantra is.
You should definitely contest it. If you don't the city will assume you agree with it and will add additional fees and possibly send you to collections and put a DMV hold on you.

You should avail yourself of the appeal process: http://www.cityofirvine.org/irvine-police-department/parking-citation-process
Point out that you do not own the vehicle described (either by plate or model/color description).
Thanks for the help! Will try to get it appealed!

daytrons

I suspect that someone wrote down the wrong license plate number and YOUR plate was somehow connected to it (perhaps via erroneous data entry).

As stated, definitely worth contesting.

I note you state you do not own the vehicle in question. But, is it owned by someone you know?
I dont know anyone that owns a car like that nor do i know anyone that lives in that particular city. So its really strange that i only get a "Delinquent Notice" now. The also the ticket was issued in November. Im sure the first citation notice had to have gone out the owner of that vehicle and now they send me a delinquent notice. Its kinda strange. Not sure how this could have happened

CdwJava

Based on what you're saying, the only thing that makes sense to me is that there was a data entry error. It should be easy to address if you contest the citation. If the hearing officer has the registration of the cited vehicle, it should be easy to determine that you are not a party to the matter.

Another question: Have you ever owned a similar vehicle? Sometimes delinquent notices will go out to all previous registered and legal owners if the most current one does not respond in some way.

daytrons

Based on what you're saying, the only thing that makes sense to me is that there was a data entry error. It should be easy to address if you contest the citation. If the hearing officer has the registration of the cited vehicle, it should be easy to determine that you are not a party to the matter.

Another question: Have you ever owned a similar vehicle? Sometimes delinquent notices will go out to all previous registered and legal owners if the most current one does not respond in some way.
Never owned a Hyundai. The closest thing to it is the two Kia I currently owned. And the only Kia that i have that is silver is the Sorento. Also im not sure if its because the financial part of Kia is owned by Hyundai. (Maybe thats how it got mixed up?)

The past two cars before these two was a Toyota and Lexus, respectively. White and Black. No where close to a silver color.

Im gonna try and send as much info as possible including pictures of the cars + registration and my insurance information stating the two cars currently insured. Hopefully thats enough.

Thanks for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">