• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parking lot accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phantom

We live in Illinois. My daughter had went to a youth meeting at church. There are around 40 parking spots and that night there were only 5 or 6 vehicles there. Another teen had pulled in and instead of parking in a space, she pulled up and parked behind my daughter. When my daughter went to leave, she backed into the other girls vehicle. I'm not sure who is at fault since the girl was not in a parking space, and there were no tickets issued. The girl's parents want my daughter to pay for the damage. Is my daughter at fault or are both party's at fault? Any ideas on what I should do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phantom:
We live in Illinois. My daughter had went to a youth meeting at church. There are around 40 parking spots and that night there were only 5 or 6 vehicles there. Another teen had pulled in and instead of parking in a space, she pulled up and parked behind my daughter. When my daughter went to leave, she backed into the other girls vehicle. I'm not sure who is at fault since the girl was not in a parking space, and there were no tickets issued. The girl's parents want my daughter to pay for the damage. Is my daughter at fault or are both party's at fault? Any ideas on what I should do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

This one's exceedingly simple. Sorry, but your daughter is 100% at fault. A car, being stationary, and not parked in a spot, does not mean it's okay to ram into it. Your daughter had a "legal duty" to look, and see, and act accordingly. This is the law of negligence - - duty, breach of duty, damages. Those who look, or fail to look, and don't see, are negligent.

Imagine, if you will, this similar situation: Your daughter is parked at the curb, and then two cars park after her, one in front, the other in back of her, so close to her car bumpers, as to block her car from movement, does that give your daughter the right to start ramming both cars to make room so she can get out?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">