• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot incident in NEW JERSEY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

39:3-4. Except as hereinafter provided, every resident of this State and every nonresident whose automobile or motorcycle shall be driven in this State shall, before using such vehicle on the public highways, register the same, and no automobile or motorcycle shall be driven unless so registered.

You don't need a vehicle to be registered to drive it on private property, only on the highway.

39:3-29. The driver's license, the registration certificate of a motor vehicle and an insurance identification card shall be in the possession of the driver or operator at all times when he is in charge of a motor vehicle on the highways of this State.

You don't need to carry any documentation to drive on private property, only on the highway.

This is becoming a circular argument, but if I'm incorrect and private property is treated the same as a public highway in New Jersey, this would mean that the police can hand out tickets for expired registration even if the car is in someones driveway ;)

FlyingRon

I didn't say that. I said that the statute requiring the notifications after accidents doesn't discriminate against public vs. private property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">