• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parking ticket in "preferential parking district" in Los Angeles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marro

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have moved from Seattle (WA) to Los Angeles (CA) 5 days ago (still WA plate, and WA license). Yesterday I received a parking ticket (in violation of section: LAMC 80.58L, Residential parking).

When I parked I could see clearly the sign "No Parking any time, expect"- "1 hour parking 9am-7pm"-"vehicle with district number 10 permits exempted", I parked there to go to a leasing office and within 20 min that I came back I saw the ticket on my car. When I checked again the sign I realized that I have missed one line under 1hr 9am-7pm which was in extremely small font (20% of the rest of the sign) and it said "Monday through Friday".

So there is nothing that I can deny about my parking somewhere that I shouldn't park. My question is whether these is any chance that they can be forgiving on this case if I argue about the very small font that couldn't be read easily and also being new to city and with zero history of ticketing and violation on my 9 years record of driving?

Thanks in advance for your help.

justalayman

You can research to make sure the sign meets applicable codes but other than that, sounds like it might be time for new glasses. Even if you couldn't actually read the small font you should have at least been able to recognize there was additional instructions and walked closer so you could read them.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sounds like the sign was properly posted and you could certainly see it and read it. As justalayman said you should have at least been able to see that there was additional text and gotten closer to read it. You saw it after you saw the ticket.

Your previous "record" is irrelevant. You can always try to fight this in court, but I would think your chances of winning are poor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">