• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Ticket on Private Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarahjanek9

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I received a parking ticket yesterday morning for "parking on wrong side of two way street." This is in a private apartment complex, not a road or street maintained by the county, and "private property" signs are posted all over the place, and in places it's only one lane. I'm a little paranoid about these things and when we moved in six years ago we actually asked the rental office if it was okay to park like that, as it seems most everyone did, and we were told yes, it was fine, just stay out of the fire markers. In our neighbor's 12+ years of living here, this is the way it's always been done. (She got one, too.)

We even have a retired police officer two buildings down, and I know police have been through here due to noise calls. We've never gotten tickets before.

According to the office a disgruntled resident called the police to complain about some other parking problem in a conflict with another resident, and the deputy decided to ticket all over the complex for things. More than 50 cars were issues parking tickets in one swoop, most of the for parking the wrong way, and apparently they've been coming back now as I guess they see us as a money making oppurtunity. (Thanks a lot for not having the sense to take it up with each other privately, kids. You took us all down with you.)

My question is, can you even give a parking ticket like this on private property? The rental office didn't know, told us again that they didn't care how we parked as long as we stayed out of fire markers so trucks could get through (where signs are posted that you will be towed if you do so.) This place is more than 60 years old, and it's been that way as long as anyone here can remember.

They did tell us many people have called the office about this and are planning on contesting. I'm just trying to see if we have all grounds to do so.

This place is crowded and sometimes we have to kind of make our own parking spaces where there aren't markers, and the parallel spaces at the side of the road are so huge everyone ignores the lines so more of us can fit in. Am I at risk for getting ticketed for those things as well?

sarahjanek9

Just replying incase anyone might know. This is Baltimore county. Outside city limits.

If this site is just for state law, I apologize.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">