• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K2400

What is the name of your state?
IL

I got a parking ticket in Chicago, I remember the day clearly and there was no meter or a sign that said no parking at the adresss I received the ticket. However I’ve moved it of state and I’m wondering if I should bother with the ticket

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
IL

I got a parking ticket in Chicago, I remember the day clearly and there was no meter or a sign that said no parking at the adresss I received the ticket. However I’ve moved it of state and I’m wondering if I should bother with the ticket
Fight it or pay it. Don't simply ignore it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Would I be able to fight it from out of state? Like at my local courthouse?
No - but you may have the option to write a letter. The ticket should have instructions, or at least a link, to help you with this process. Don't plan on winning.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
IL

I got a parking ticket in Chicago, I remember the day clearly and there was no meter or a sign that said no parking at the adresss I received the ticket.
No sign or meter that you remember. Human perception and memory are not perfect; it may be that some sign was there that you just didn't notice or that you don't remember seeing it. That happened to me once parking in NY city. They mark parking differently there than I was used to and thus I completely missed the sign — it was in a spot I did not expect it to be. Perhaps you could use Google earth to get a street level view of that street. There's a chance that you might see there something you missed.

However I’ve moved it of state and I’m wondering if I should bother with the ticket
You have the option to contest it by correspondence if it is a city of Chicago ticket. See the Chicago parking ticket page for information on that. So you might try that since it won't require you to go back to Chicago to appear in court. You cannot contest the ticket in the courts of your new state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">