• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking wile homless at night

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VEEGACKE

In oregon and washington are the states in question mostly oregon

Can I park over night in a parkinglot of a building that is empty and has no business there any longer and has no signs what so ever

quincy

In oregon and washington are the states in question mostly oregon

Can I park over night in a parkinglot of a building that is empty and has no business there any longer and has no signs what so ever
The property owner might not permit it.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If the building is empty you would probably be drawing attention to yourself if the police see a vehicle parked where there should not be one.

adjusterjack

Or find the nearest rest area out on the highway and park there overnight.

Truck stops are another option. They usually allow overnight parking.

quincy

Asking from a legal standpoint
You will want to find out the owner of the property and get permission to park your truck on their property.

Rest areas on highways allow for trucks and vehicles to stay overnight. There are at least 3 rest areas off I-5 near Cottage Grove in Oregon and at least one just south of Olympia near Maytown off I-5 in Washington.

Why do you need overnight parking for your truck?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will want to find out the owner of the property and get permission to park your truck on their property.

Rest areas on highways allow for trucks and vehicles to stay overnight. There are at least 3 rest areas off I-5 near Cottage Grove in Oregon and at least one just south of Olympia near Maytown off I-5 in Washington.

Why do you need overnight parking for your truck?
Because he lives in it.

xylene

Asking from a legal standpoint
Not parking where cars wouldn't be parked at night is legal advice. It would cause an investigation and depending on circumstances be probable cause to search your truck and even arrest you.

justalayman

Quoting O.R.S. Sec. 164.245. Criminal trespass in the second degree.
(1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass in the second degree if the person enters or remains unlawfullyin a motor vehicle or in or upon premises.

(2) Criminal trespass in the second degree is a Class C misdemeanor.
Quoting O.R.S. Sec. 164.205. Definitions for ORS 164.205 to 164.270
As used in ORS 164.205 to 164.270, except as the context requires otherwise:

(1) “Building,” in addition to its ordinary meaning, includes any booth, vehicle, boat, aircraft or other structure adapted for overnight accommodation of persons or for carrying on business therein. Where a building consists of separate units, including, but not limited to, separate apartments, offices or rented rooms, each unit is, in addition to being a part of such building, a separate building.

(2) “Dwelling” means a building which regularly or intermittently is occupied by a person lodging therein at night, whether or not a person is actually present.

(3) “Enter or remain unlawfully” means:

(a) To enter or remain in or upon premises when the premises, at the time of such entry or remaining, are not open to the public or when the entrant is not otherwise licensed or privileged to do so;

(b) To fail to leave premises that are open to the public after being lawfully directed to do so by the person in charge;

(c) To enter premises that are open to the public after being lawfully directed not to enter the premises; or

(d) To enter or remain in a motor vehicle when the entrant is not authorized to do so.

(4) “Open to the public” means premiseswhich by their physical nature, function, custom, usage, notice or lack thereof or other circumstances at the time would cause a reasonable person to believe that no permission to enter or remain is required.

(5) “Person in charge” means a person, a representative or employee of the person who has lawful control of premises by ownership, tenancy, official position or other legal relationship. “Person in charge” includes, but is not limited to the person, or holder of a position, designated as the person or position-holder in charge by the Governor, board, commission or governing body of any political subdivision of this state.

(6) “Premises” includes any building and any real property, whether privately or publicly owned.
After business hours or where there is no active business would likely to be seen as private property not open to the public so, parking there is likely to get you charged with trespassing.
I would guess if the cops feel like it they can probably arrest you and if they do, would likely impound your car.

Find a place it is legally allowed or you are granted permission to park.

justalayman

Truck stops wont allow my pick up truck
I’ve never been refused being allowed to sleep in my car at a truck stop. You just don’t park right in front of the building and prevent more temporary customers from accessing the building easily. I would also suggest not staying at the same truck stop night after night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">