• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Part 8 Questions #17, #25 and #27 on I-485

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Totti

On 2012, I got traffic ticket section 345.01 stub section (a) article 345 “DEFFECTIVE PASSENGER SIDE TAIL LIGHT” against peace and dignity of the city of wheeling, West Virginia, violation of section 351.10 of article 351 “Driving under suspension or revocation” and violation of section 351.06 of article 351 “Operator or chauffeur license required”.

I went to the court and the judge A pled No contact for both - the first violation, the judge let me pay fine of $75 + $12. The second violation, he let me pay fine of $100 + $62. The third violation the judge dismissed it.

What should I answer to the following questions on part 8 of I-485:

1) 25. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, charged, or detained for any reason by any law enforcement official (including but not limited to any U.S. immigration official or any official of the U.S armed forces or U.S Coast Guard)?

2) 27.Have you EVER pled guilty to or been convicted of crime or offense (even if the violation was subsequently expunged or sealed by a court, or if you were granted a pardon, amnesty, a rehabilitation decree, or other act of clemency?

Also, I came to the US on F1 visa (Student Visa) but my I-20 ended on 2017. What should I answer in this question on part 8 of I-485:

1) 17. Have you Ever violated the terms or conditions of your nonimmigration status?

quincy

On 2012, I got traffic ticket section 345.01 stub section (a) article 345 “DEFFECTIVE PASSENGER SIDE TAIL LIGHT” against peace and dignity of the city of wheeling, West Virginia, violation of section 351.10 of article 351 “Driving under suspension or revocation” and violation of section 351.06 of article 351 “Operator or chauffeur license required”.

I went to the court and the judge A pled No contact for both - the first violation, the judge let me pay fine of $75 + $12. The second violation, he let me pay fine of $100 + $62. The third violation the judge dismissed it.

What should I answer to the following questions on part 8 of I-485:

1) 25. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, charged, or detained for any reason by any law enforcement official (including but not limited to any U.S. immigration official or any official of the U.S armed forces or U.S Coast Guard)?

2) 27.Have you EVER pled guilty to or been convicted of crime or offense (even if the violation was subsequently expunged or sealed by a court, or if you were granted a pardon, amnesty, a rehabilitation decree, or other act of clemency?

Also, I came to the US on F1 visa (Student Visa) but my I-20 ended on 2017. What should I answer in this question on part 8 of I-485:

1) 17. Have you Ever violated the terms or conditions of your nonimmigration status?
You will need to speak to an immigration attorney in your area. We cannot assist with the filling out of legal documents. That goes beyond the scope of this forum. Sorry.

FlyingRon

You can't plead "No Contact." Perhaps you meant "No Contest?" Anyhow, that doesn't matter, what matters was that you were found guilty.

The answer to all the questions is YES. You were stopped, cited, and convicted. I wouldn't worry too much (provide you DO NOT LIE. NEVER LIE ON AN IMMIGRATION FORM). Traffic offenses like this don't usually add up to much.

quincy

Because how you fill out the I-485 matters a LOT to you, filling it out accurately and honestly is important.

Please do NOT rely on help from an internet forum. We are NOT able to provide the type of assistance you seek as it is considered the practice of law.

You need to find an (immigration) attorney in your area for assistance in answering the questions.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">