• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Part of 401K plan distribution forfeited

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diamond20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have worked for my past employer for about 2.5 years and had a 401K plan with them since my start date. Now I work for a different employer and wanted to rollover the money from my previous 401K plan to my new plan. I filled out an application and they sent me a check written to my new plan in my benefit. I've noticed that the total sum is significantly less than I had on my previous 401K, so I contacted them to see what was the problem.

I was told that the reason for the difference relates to vesting of the monies that the Firm put into the profit sharing account for me and that I was 80% vested in these monies, and, upon distribution 20% of the monies were forfeited. In order to achieve 100% vested in the monies I would have had to have worked for the firm for an additional year.

Can someone tell me if that's normal or legal? And is there anything I can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The money that you yourself put into the plan is always 100% vested.

However, money that is put in on your behalf generally vests gradually. I've never heard of a plan that didn't vest the matching portion over a period of time; it is both normal and legal.

It's often 20% per year which would mean you wouldn't be 80% vested until 4 years - if you're 80% vested after only two and a half years you're coming out of this deal very well.

They probably did notify you - I"m sure it's in the plan document somewhere. They are not required to point it out to you; this is such a common procedure it probably never occurred to them that you were not aware of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">