• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Part Time Or Full Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robert69

What is the name of your state?Kansas

I am eployed as a part time employee in a job where only two people do my job. The other person keeps calling in sick and I get extra hours. Should I get full time employee benifits since I average 35 hours a week which is 6 hours more than the full time employee has been averaging over the last 3 months?

pattytx

There are no regulations in your state, to my knowledge, which define the criteria for a part-time vs. full-time employee. Often, a part-time ee will work more than their schedule when others are out sick, on vacation, etc. Most companies do not reclassify an employee when this happens, as it normally is temporary. It is completely up to the company and the policy as to how you are classified.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In fact, I am not aware of ANY state which mandates what is full time and what is part time for purposes of insurance benefits.

It would be extremely rare for a company to reclassify you on the basis of extra hours due to other employee's being out temporarily.

Robert69

I should clarify

My schedule is for more hours than the full time employee even when they do not call in sick. I felt as if the manager was trying some funny business by not giving me full time status and giving her cousin all of the benefits. In short I work more hours than the full timer and I am not related to the boss and I have no benefits alloted to me and it seems as if I am being kept from benefits due to a large company trying to boost the family plan.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, let's be sure we're all on the same page here.

Are you REGULARLY scheduled (not just occasionally or even frequently when someone is out sick or on vacation) for more hours than the other employee?

Are you REGULARLY (not just occasionally as above) scheduled for as many or more hours than the insurance plan documents states is the minimum for benefits?

Does the insurance plan document state that employees in your position or class are eligible for benefits? (Shop vs. office, manager vs. clerk, etc.) Note: This question has nothing to do with the other person and what benefits they get - it's what does the plan document SAY.

I want to make sure I fully understand what your situation is, before progressing any further.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">