• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partial Unemployment in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

My coworkers and I are part of the 800,000 Dept of Defense employees who will be furloughed 2 days per pay period. My boss has tasked me with finding out if we're eligible for partial unemployment.

I read through this: http://www.azlawhelp.org/documents/Unemployguide.pdf but didn't find the answer.

Even their relatively user-friendly site didn't offer any answers: https://www.azdes.gov/landing.aspx?id=4211

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Dena

swalsh411

Unlikely because in all States I am familar with there is a dollar for dollar offset againt the benefit amount and since the benefit amount won't be 4/5 of your weekly pay, you won't be able to collect. I don't have time to search right now but I would be surprised if Arizona was an exception.

So in other words, yes you can file and get a claim established, but unless you are lying about how much you are being paid you won't get any money.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Thanks, Swalsh411 -- I had a feeling that would be the case.

There is some talk of the agencies letting the employees decide how they want to take the 22 days of no-pay. If someone were to elect to do it all at once, would they then be eligible? Assuming, of course, they meet all other eligibity requirements.

And since this is a furlough, not a termination, is there a job-seeking requirement?

(BTW, this research has given me a whole new level of appreciation for the knowledge of our Senior Member employment laws gurus. Trying to decipher the rules just for one state has made me bug-slap crazy; don't know how they do it with multiple states.)

commentator

There is certainly no downside to filing the claim for unemployment. They (the unemployment system) will have prepped on this situation and will be able to advise you exactly of how they will deal with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">