• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partner does not want to leave home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? VA

I want out of our long-term relationship (10 years). My partner does not want to leave the home. I have offered to buy them out. They refuse. The mortgage is in my name, and as a last resort, I am willing to sell the house, since they don't want me to end up with the house. Both our names are on the deed for the house. My partner says that nothing can be done, unless they sign off on the deed! I am trying to do all this as fast as possible. Can a lawyer & courts force my partner to sign off on the deed?


Senior Member
You will need to get a lawyer and file a partition suit.

The court will sell the land and, after deducting all costs (mortgage, court costs, lawyer fees, etc.), y'all will split the proceeds.

Anyone will be able to bid at the auction.

It would mean money to both y'all if you agree to sell it whoever.


Senior Member
They have the same right to be there, if they are on the deed.

You can buy THEM out by refinancing, if agreed, and paying them market value for their share simultaneously with getting a QC deed (or two or three!).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential