• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partner Forcing sale of house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Myturf

What is the name of your state? Brooklyn New York

my partner and I split up and he moved out 3 years ago. He continued to pay his share of the mortgage until May 2002. he now wants to force me to sell the house to take out his equity in cash. with a re-finance I still fall short of the total amount of the equity he wants. both our names are on the deed. he wants 50% of the value of the property less 50% of the mortgage at the date he stopped contributing. what are my options and does the fact that he chose to stop paying his share enable me to split the value and give him equity value without having to pay him out?

HomeGuru

Myturf said:
What is the name of your state? Brooklyn New York

my partner and I split up and he moved out 3 years ago. He continued to pay his share of the mortgage until May 2002. he now wants to force me to sell the house to take out his equity in cash. with a re-finance I still fall short of the total amount of the equity he wants. both our names are on the deed. he wants 50% of the value of the property less 50% of the mortgage at the date he stopped contributing. what are my options and does the fact that he chose to stop paying his share enable me to split the value and give him equity value without having to pay him out?

**A: it is all subject to negotiation. Partition may be the only solution if an agreement cannot be met.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">