• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partnership & Personal Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My husband recently filed a dba in the county clerk's office forming a 50/50 general partnership. My husband's credit financed all of the equipment and his partner performs the work. No other paperwork has been filed with anyone, i.e. lawyers, sec of state. After two months we are questioning the business practices and ethics of the other partner. He refuses to present any records of any type, i.e. invoices, check copies. We now suspect cash payments, under-the-table deals, etc. We are quite concerned about the personal liability we have subjected ourselves to and want out asap. Any advice on the quickest, least expensive way to do this without ruining our credit? We have thought of filing as a LLP, corporation, removing our name from the dba (would this release us from personal liability?) and also of repossessing all equipment in our name, bankruptcy, etc. Please HELP!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
My husband recently filed a dba in the county clerk's office forming a 50/50 general partnership. My husband's credit financed all of the equipment and his partner performs the work. No other paperwork has been filed with anyone, i.e. lawyers, sec of state. After two months we are questioning the business practices and ethics of the other partner. He refuses to present any records of any type, i.e. invoices, check copies. We now suspect cash payments, under-the-table deals, etc. We are quite concerned about the personal liability we have subjected ourselves to and want out asap. Any advice on the quickest, least expensive way to do this without ruining our credit? We have thought of filing as a LLP, corporation, removing our name from the dba (would this release us from personal liability?) and also of repossessing all equipment in our name, bankruptcy, etc. Please HELP!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I really am not too sure about what I'm about to suggest, nor the legality, because to me, this is somewhat of a strange situation; however, before I state it, I am hereby requesting any other logical solutions. So, with that in mind:

Take your name off of the DBA. Change the locks of the business, remove your equipment, and send him a check for his labor (make it more than fair), along with a letter to him stating that, "Whatever business relationship we may have had at (name and address), it ends right now. Enclosed is a check, #______ in the sum of $_____ as and for payment in full for your labor, from (date) to (date). Any relationship we may have had is hereby immediately terminated. You are no longer welcome on the said premises and, should you appear thereon, we will consider you as a trespasser, and deal with you on the level accordingly." Signed.

Again, any other suggestions for a better answer to this gentleman's question and situation is kindly requested.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

T

Tracey

Also, send certified letters to anyone who dealt with him while you were partners. Say that you have dissolved the partnership and that his actions are not binding on you and he is not an agent for the partnership or for you.

When a partnership is dissolved, the managing partner (you?) has to "wind up" the affairs of the p'ship. You pay all just debts, reimburse capital investments, and distribute any excess $$ equally.

Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">