• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PAS Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suenoloco

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

My ex and I are in a bitter custody dispute over our kids. My ex has on numerous occasions signed the kids up for camps, parties, trips...on my weeknds. She has been found in contempt of court for violating court orders for visitation. She routinely calls me names in front of the kids. Anytime I discipline the kids they text their mother and she files a restraining order against me...which takes the kids away from me. She has filed 4 restraining orders and three have been thrown out. She accused me of sexual abuse of the kids...after a lengthy investigation I was cleared. I contend that this is a clear case of PAS. Her attorney wants the court to appoint a GAL....is this a good move for my case. Would a pshycologist or counselor be better suited for what I contend? Do I HAVE to agree to a GAL?

Zephyr

A GAL would be a great asset to your kids during this process- they represent the best interests of the children to the court- not either parent

LdiJ

A GAL would be a great asset to your kids during this process- they represent the best interests of the children to the court- not either parent
I agree, this is a case that clearly calls for a GAL. It may also call for psychological evaluations, but the first step would be a GAL.

By all means get a GAL. If what you state is true, even a mediocre one will see through the stuff your X is pulling. That can only help your case.

Edited to add:

Don't start accusing your X of anything to the GAL. Describe the behaviors and the situations and let the GAL come to the conclusion of alienation. Do not use the term "Parental Alienation Syndrome" a lot of courts don't accept the syndrome, but all are familiar with parental alienation and judges don't usually tolerate it.

Last edited:

suenoloco

This has been going on for 4 years now with the sexual abuse charges in Jan 2004 being the start. The last instance happened this week when she signed them up for camps on my week (we split weeks in summer). When I refused to let them go the kids threw a fit and the oldest and I started arguing with her calling me unreasonable. The argument got heated but I never touched her....ive never spanked either one of them...she texted her mother "HELP" she says because she thought I was going to......" get a gun and shoot her". Ive never owned a gun in my life!!! My ex filed a restraining order and the Domestic Violence Commisioner let it stand because when she interviewed my daughter (outside the courtroom) my daughter said she was afraid of me. Again,,,ive never touched this kid in my life. My discipline is taking her phone or computer away from her...ive never spanked her. Now im under a restraining under with no contact for 2 weeks when it will be re-evaluated. All the restraining orders and bogus sexual abuse charges and telling the kids they could go to camp on my week...none of it mattered when the kid said she was afraid of me. Thats all it takes for the restraining order. After her history i thought the commisioner would throw it out...and I was wrong!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">