• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passanger posted in my Comment "Hes a creep"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mozart57

What is the name of your state?
California
I would like to know if I can file Liable Law Suit perhaps discrimination on the part of Lyft for defamation of character because passenger posted in my profile comment "He's a Creep".

I am driving for Lyft Company and the Company does not monitor comments written by a passenger. I find this very offensive and discriminatory without a base or I have not given in my opinion the passenger calling me names. Anyone can post anything they like it.

It causes me a great deal of emotional distress and I have constant thoughts about it and can't get rid of tis my head. It causes me psychological issues. I do not trust passengers and I am constantly afraid of my passengers what they going to write. I will not write about me here much because I do not want to be biased

I wrote to Lyft about this incident and they have not replied to me. I asked them to remove this comment.

Please advise. If you have more questions I would be happy to add more details.

Sincerely

Mozart57

Just Blue

California
I would like to know if I can file Liable Law Suit perhaps discrimination on the part of Lyft for defamation of character because passenger posted in my profile comment "He's a Creep".

I am driving for Lyft Company and the Company does not monitor comments written by a passenger. I find this very offensive and discriminatory without a base or I have not given in my opinion the passenger calling me names. Anyone can post anything they like it.

It causes me a great deal of emotional distress and I have constant thoughts about it and can't get rid of tis my head. It causes me psychological issues. I do not trust passengers and I am constantly afraid of my passengers what they going to write. I will not write about me here much because I do not want to be biased

I wrote to Lyft about this incident and they have not replied to me. I asked them to remove this comment.

Sincerely

Mozart57
Based on what you wrote ^ I would suggest getting a new job. There is not law suit that I can see. To that passenger you might have seemed to be a "creep". That was their opinion.

Eekamouse

California

Sincerely

Mozart57
Perhaps you should improve your people skills to avoid unflattering comments from future Lyft customers. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Politeness goes a long way in making a good first impression. Not saying you were rude to this customer but something you did helped her to form that opinion of you.

eerelations

Perhaps you should improve your people skills to avoid unflattering comments from future Lyft customers. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Politeness goes a long way in making a good first impression. Not saying you were rude to this customer but something you did helped her to form that opinion of you.
Or, she's a creep herself who just likes to post random negativity at the expense of other people's feelings. (I've seen more than a few people like this online.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But from what the poster has said, I don't believe this is one of those instances. It is clearly opinion.

If it is bothering the poster this much, I suggest a mental health professional would be of more value than a lawsuit.

quincy

I use Lyft; used one late last Monday night to get home from the airport. As a woman alone, I read the comments and I would have rejected a driver who had that description. I also would have silently thanked the women who wrote them.
The description, therefore, affected the reputation of the driver.

justalayman

Using the word "creep" or "creepy" to describe someone can be defamatory.
Yes but it is also opinion. It takes very little to defend one’s opinion that one believes another to be a creep ergo commuting the opinion to be considered a truth.

While being labeled as a creep can be defamatory, if untrue, and result in issues involving their reputation, just the same the passenger is entitied to post their opinion, even if merely opinion. Since creep is a somewhat ambiguously defined word as used in our country, I believe it would be very difficult to claim any true reputational injury by the op. Anybody disliked for just abiut any reason could be considered a creep by the speaker.

Now, being called creepy would been slightly more serious, in my opinion, as it tends to denote a trait of the person where as calling them a creep would be little different than calling them a jerk or dumb ass. Labeling them as being creepy tends to suggest a belief they are sinister or nefarious. While that too can be defended as opinion, it none the less suggests there is truly a reason to approach the party with a rightfullly prejudiced mind.

So if one could be charged with defamation for calling onother a jerk, then I agree calling them a creep would be equally harmful.

quincy

But was the description FALSE?
I don't know. :)

Whether it is defamatory could depend on what others take the comment on its own to mean.

It is generally better to provide an example and let readers draw from the example what they will rather than drawing any conclusions for the reader. Labeling someone a creep influences how others view that person (as it would have ajkroy in making a Lyft driver choice).

As an additional note: I agree that mozart has no legal action to pursue against Lyft. The passenger is the one who called mozart a creep.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">