• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passenger in hit and run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R.tanko

I was a passenger in a hit and run in California. I retained an attorney now a year and a half later. My attorney sends demand letter which insurance company refuses. Now my attorney is passing my case on to someone else. I've been to numerous doctors and chiropractors still in pain but tolerable. The car I was in was fully covered by Allstate and the other car covered by Fred Loya and that driver lied over and over. I have pic of license plate time, date and location stamped from my iPhone. Police Report etc. I dont want to be just passed on. I feel I should get another attorney on my own but dont know if any attorney will take my case now. What should I do??

CdwJava

A year and a half for civil claims is not all that long a time. I had a son nearly killed in a collision in July 2018 and that civil case is STILL ambling through the civil process with only the first round of mediation having occurred. His attorney expects another 6 to 9 months before the earliest conclusion is likely.

About all you can do is keep in touch with your attorney - the new attorney, now, it seems. And understand that things move sloooooowly.

Just Blue

A year and a half for civil claims is not all that long a time. I had a son nearly killed in a collision in July 2018 and that civil case is STILL ambling through the civil process with only the first round of mediation having occurred. His attorney expects another 6 to 9 months before the earliest conclusion is likely.

About all you can do is keep in touch with your attorney - the new attorney, now, it seems. And understand that things move sloooooowly.
My personal injury case took over 4 years to complete.

R.tanko

Why is the attorney passing the case and is the new attorney a member of the same law firm?
My attorney says it has to go to the courts now and the dollar amount isn't all that much, so that's why it's being passed to another and no totally different law firm.

CdwJava

My attorney says it has to go to the courts now and the dollar amount isn't all that much, so that's why it's being passed to another and no totally different law firm.
Sounds like you had a dealer and not a litigator. As I have learned over the years, the guy with the biggest billboards often has the least litigation experience.

I got my son's experience based upon the advice of a number of local attorneys. They didn't have the big billboards, but the two attorneys in the office had decades of experience and were not afraid to go into court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">