• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing a law in my **county**

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misseskisses11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I am interested in maybe trying to get a min. housing code to be
enforced in my county which is Franklin, although there is already a
min. housing code in the state of NC, for some reason in the more rural parts
of my city it is not applied. maybe even non existent from what i was
told by the building and code enforcement department.

So my question is really where to start I am guessing maybe
town hall IDK any ideas suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

It just tics me off a little as to how some landlords can rent out close
to falling apart units for 500,600 ect. and fix nothing i mean I have
seen some pretty bad places. no one is holding them accountable
for it and really that needs to change.

FlyingRon

The law (code) already exists. The NC building code applies to the entire state. The problem you have is nobody is enforcing it. If you have a specific building that you are occupying that isn't up to code, you can go to court. You aren't going to get very far stomping your feet and demanding the code to be enforced on to everybody. If you want to do that, run for county commission or whatever and effect the change there.

misseskisses11

The law (code) already exists. The NC building code applies to the entire state. The problem you have is nobody is enforcing it. If you have a specific building that you are occupying that isn't up to code, you can go to court. You aren't going to get very far stomping your feet and demanding the code to be enforced on to everybody. If you want to do that, run for county commission or whatever and effect the change there.
So funny you should say that because i looked it up maybe thinking i would find someone info there and bam what do you have a vacant seat in my district although i would never even know where to begin and or what qualifications you would have to have.

You have no legal standing to complain about structures you do not live in so all you can do is raise awareness via your gov't officials, press, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">