• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

passing line on ground at stop sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arlingtonld

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington, DC

I was pulled over for passing the line on the ground at the stop sign. I made a complete stop - officer did not contest that - but apparently I stopped a few feet past line. It's probably true, since the car on my left had stopped even further ahead of me and I stopped at the place it was safe to see around that car. I was not in the intersection at all. I'd like to at least get ticket reduced since it makes it sound like I blew through a stop sign, but I'm worried that I have no defense since I probably did stop a few feet ahead of where I was supposed to. Is an attempt to get it reduced worth it at all?

JETX

arlingtonld said:
Is an attempt to get it reduced worth it at all?
Based solely on your post, no. The intersection is marked by the line. The fact that you crossed it, stopped or not, is not relevant. Based on your post you entered the intersection without stopping.

LSCAP

Most states write the law that you must make a complete stop at the sign, or in some cases the line. ( in some states there are paragraphs written describing where to stop. ) IE: a line, multiple lines, building line, stop sign, crosswalk.

Crosswalk is part of the trouble. They want you to stop far enough back that pedestrians can cross.

I would take a bunch of pictures of the intersection. Some with cars blocking the view, some from where you, the driver was. These often are useless, but if you are obviously unhappy, and innocent looking and showing where, why and how, you stopped, I’ve seen it work.

The defendant, a local school teacher, was obviously upset that another driver had made it impossible for her to see. She showed pictures.
The DA offered a reduction, the deft was too upset to accept, Quote “But I did stop!” unquote, The DA turned away from her.
but later the judge dismissed it anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">