• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passport Cancelled While Abroad?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
California.

OK. So there is a good chance my US passport is or will be cancelled. I am abroad. Been abroad for many years. I live abroad. Permanently.
Is there anyway to find out if one's passport IS cancelled?
Will my host nation know? Is there some sort of international database?
Will I be arrested? Deported?
Obviously I have lots of fears. I have a wife and kids here. The last time I was stateside was 2000ish, while I was still single, and apparently got a girl pregnant that I never knew about and have to pay child support. The thing is, I am totally and permanently disabled, and live on $300 a month Social Security.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Mass_Shyster

Whether you are arrested and/or deported due to a “cancelled” passport depends on the laws of your host country.

I don’t know why it would be cancelled. It certainly is expired. You can renew it at a us embassy.

FlyingRon

You're going to have to explain for what reason you think your US passport will be canceled? Passports of US citizens don't just get canceled because you live abroad (despite what the Constitutionally-illiterate dunderhead in the White House thinks). Usually, passports only get canceled because they were either fraudulently obtained or when a new one is issued to the holder.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You're going to have to explain for what reason you think your US passport will be canceled? Passports of US citizens don't just get canceled because you live abroad (despite what the Constitutionally-illiterate dunderhead in the White House thinks). Usually, passports only get canceled because they were either fraudulently obtained or when a new one is issued to the holder.
I suspect OP means revoked due to arrears.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!
If your passport is restricted because the child support program you will be denied issuance or renewal of a passport, will not receive passport related services, and may have your passport held by the State Department if you submit it for passport services (e.g. to add pages, change a name, update a picture, or repair or reissue a damaged passport). More information on it is available from the HHS Passport Denial Program page. You can get the denial lifted by getting the state to take your name off the program. You might be able to do that by proving an inability to pay the support.

The State Department does not, so far as I can tell, inform other countries of the passport denial unless they inquire. If you have lived in that other country for 15+ years as your post seems to indicate I would guess that you have some kind of permanent residency status there by now such that having a valid U.S. passport wouldn't much matter but of course the laws of that country matter a lot.

Whether you are arrested and/or deported due to a “cancelled” passport depends on the laws of your host country.

I don’t know why it would be cancelled. It certainly is expired. You can renew it at a us embassy.
My passport is new. Why would it be expired? And how would you know that? And since when did they allow you to renew it at the embassy?

I am at $3,000. Just in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">