• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CSprings12

What is the name of your state? PA

Any advice on how I can get a passport for my child? Father is not in picture. He hasn't seen child in 1 1/2 years. He doesn't pay support. And there is no custody order. Father filed but never showed up for mediation twice - court date was never set. I sent Form DS-3053 to his last address via certified mail. It came back uncollected. Through his mother I got a message to him about it and he said he'd sign it if I sent it regular mail. So I did that. Still nothing. Oh, both times I sent a self addressed stamped envelope so he could easily just put it back in the mail to me.

Do I have to petition the courts to allow me to get the passport since I can't get his cooperation? I don't have any more money for my lawyer. Does anyone know if I can just submit the returned mailings to the Dept of State?

LdiJ

CSprings12 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

Any advice on how I can get a passport for my child? Father is not in picture. He hasn't seen child in 1 1/2 years. He doesn't pay support. And there is no custody order. Father filed but never showed up for mediation twice - court date was never set. I sent Form DS-3053 to his last address via certified mail. It came back uncollected. Through his mother I got a message to him about it and he said he'd sign it if I sent it regular mail. So I did that. Still nothing. Oh, both times I sent a self addressed stamped envelope so he could easily just put it back in the mail to me.

Do I have to petition the courts to allow me to get the passport since I can't get his cooperation? I don't have any more money for my lawyer. Does anyone know if I can just submit the returned mailings to the Dept of State?
Is he on the birth certificate?

jelly

if you are going on a trip or vacation, double check that you even need the passport for the place where you are going.

CSprings12

I'm actually okay not having it this year. My child can travel on the birth certificate, I'm told. But they said it changes for 2006, and I won't be able to take the child out of the US without a passport. What I'm worried about is I have an elderly grandfather in Europe who's health is failing. If something should happen to him, I want to be able to attend his funeral. Obviously, I'll want to take my child with me.

LdiJ

CSprings12 said:
Yes, father's name is on the birth certificate.
Well, if you have contact info for dad, and he is not signing, then you probably need to take it to court. If you had no idea where he was, then there is an affidavit that you can fill out to send in to the passport office to explain why you can't get the father's signature. They don't always issue passports based on the affidavits, but often they do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">