• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passports and country symbols

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

copylegal

Can I create a graphic work that includes made up passports slightly similiar to real ones for various countries? Is it in public domain and legal to do for non-commercial use? And what about color-modyfying country symbols without changing curves?

FlyingRon

The symbols aren't likely protected by either copyright or trademark, but making things that appear to be passports (even if you try making changes to it), is likely to get you into big trouble.

copylegal

The symbols aren't likely protected by either copyright or trademark, but making things that appear to be passports (even if you try making changes to it), is likely to get you into big trouble.
Thanks for the reply. Is the word passport the only issue?

quincy

Can I create a graphic work that includes made up passports slightly similiar to real ones for various countries? Is it in public domain and legal to do for non-commercial use? And what about color-modyfying country symbols without changing curves?
What is the name of your state or, if not in the U.S., what is the name of your country?

There are laws in the U.S. that restrict the reproduction of, or imitation of, agency insignias or seals. You cannot falsely convey your "graphic works" are sanctioned by the U.S. government.

Some symbols are both copyright and trademark protected.

Uses designed to deceive, or that do deceive, the public should be avoided.

I can provide more information once you identify your country and once you better describe your graphic works.

Last edited:

copylegal

What is the name of your state or, if not in the U.S., what is the name of your country?

There are laws in the U.S. that restrict the reproduction of, or imitation of, agency insignias or seals. You cannot falsely convey your "graphic works" are sanctioned by the U.S. government.

Some symbols are both copyright and trademark protected.

Uses designed to deceive, or that do deceive, the public should be avoided.

I can provide more information once you identify your country and once you better describe your graphic works.
Thank you for your reply.

The work applies to middle Europe country (Slovakia). Let the question remain about copyrighted symbols, as making "passport-fun-art" is not a good idea - the graphics were intended for fun, in no way to deceive.

I need to be sure about usage of national symbols and flags for the following countries: Colombia, Mongolia, USA, Germany, Ecuador, Japan, France, Slovakia.

Can text overlay be placed over symbol? What about altering colours of symbol?

quincy

Thank you for your reply.

The work applies to middle Europe country (Slovakia). Let the question remain about copyrighted symbols, as making "passport-fun-art" is not a good idea - the graphics were intended for fun, in no way to deceive.

I need to be sure about usage of national symbols and flags for the following countries: Colombia, Mongolia, USA, Germany, Ecuador, Japan, France, Slovakia.

Can text overlay be placed over symbol? What about altering colours of symbol?
FreeAdvice covers US law questions only. The laws of other countries differ.

Here is a link to a U.S. Department of Defense Guide on uses of seals, logos, insignias, and medals:
https://dod.defense.gov/Portals/1/Documents/Trademarks/DOD Guide about use of seals logos insignia medals-16 Oct 15F.PDF
The flags of most countries are too old to be protected by copyright laws at this point. Whether a country has and/or enforces trademark rights varies by country.

I would avoid in your graphics anything that might demean the country whose identifiers you intend to use - only because in some countries this can be criminal. And, again, avoid deception.

You would be smart to have your ideas for graphic art personally checked out by an attorney in your area, as it will be your country's laws that will affect you the most. It will be in your country, in your country's courts under your country's laws, that legal action is apt to be taken against you, should your work cross legal lines.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">