• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

past 30-day limit: deposit return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Becky Lea

(First, thanks to replies to 'returned check'.) My previous landlord is really trying to do a # on us! We contacted him after 30 days after moved out (req.'d by Colorado law) to see if he'd mailed the security deposit. He said he'd mail it the next day. 2 weeks passed, no response. We called again; asked for our address because he'd lost it (no attempt to call us for it). Still no check. We called again; he's moved out of state & we asked for his address (so we could send a certified letter to attempt to get the deposit back, also req'd by law.) His response: 'I'm staying in a hotel, here's the name of the hotel'. So we've emailed him & told him he's gone beyond the 30 days legal limit. He replied to the email, coming up w/ all these deductions for 'damages', complete w/ 'witnesses' & 'photographs', but which we NEVER rec'd in writing w/in the 30-day limit. We think he's waived all rights to w/hold any $ because he passed the 30-day limit. We've STILL not received a check. We believe, since 9 weeks have passed since we moved out, he must return all the deposit. (In the lease it says it must me returned w/in 2 WEEKS after move-out) Any ideas on what to do? I think it's time to get a lawyer.

HomeGuru

Princess Lea,
you hit the tenant jackpot. Research your State Statutes and demand at least 2 times the amount of the deposit in Small Claims Court.
May The Force Be With You.

JABBA The Hut

B

Becky Lea

Thanks for your advice on this and the previous question. You've no idea how much I appreciate it. I've learned the hard way (by losing LOTS of money!) that you've got to follow the lease, the laws, and make sure you've done your homework before you challenge a landlord. THANKS AGAIN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">