• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past employer and payroll company will not release 401k

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JinAZ

J from Arizona.
My previous employer went out of business, they had a 401k plan through the payroll company Paychex. The owner of the bankrupt company refuses to terminate the plan and paychex has frozen all of the 401k plans because the owner owes money to paychex and will not allow any former employee to rollover or distribute any of the money. I can prove that I do not work for that employer any longer however, paychex refuses to discuss the matter any further with me because the previous owner is the only one authorized to terminate the plan or state that i am no longer an employee of the bankrupt company. The state labor department has been no help either, is there any direct action I can take against this payroll company in order to get my money rolled over into my new employers 401k plan?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The reason the state labor department has been of no help, is that it is not a state issue. Contact the FEDERAL Department of Labor - they are the regulatory agency for 401k's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">