• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

past record...will i have immigration problems?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lucyliu9

About 13 years ago, I was caught for shoplifting and went to court and was either dismissed or discharged. I had to do some community service also. I am Canadian and will be marrying an American. Will i have problems with immigration? Will they see this record? What are the procedures for immigration? Is there an interview process and will we be interviewed separately. Basically, i want to know if my husband will find out about this.

T

Tracey

A 13 year old misdemeanor conviction will probably not keep you out of the country. INS is much more interested in whether you've ever been a drug dealer, prostitue, or pimp. (It's true!) However, DO NOT lie about it!!! Go to the law courts & pull your file. Check to see if you got a real dismissal, deferred prosecution, or a conviction that only resulted in community service. You can get a good book on imigration from Nolo Press -- www.nolo.com. It should answer most of your questions, plus the questions you'll think up tomorrow. :)

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">