• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Patch Panel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MIKEPIN

FL.

Commercial tenant installed computer cabling and patch panel and wants to take it with him.

I inherited the lease, the lease does not say anything about this.

I thought once it is attached to the property it stays with the property.

Does anybody know?

quincy

FL.

Commercial tenant installed computer cabling and patch panel and wants to take it with him.

Does anybody know?
What do you mean by inheriting the lease?

The patch panel and cables apparently were installed and used by the previous commercial tenants in their business. I would assume that the equipment goes with the previous business and does not become the property of the landlord/owner or part of your lease.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
FL.

Does anybody know?
This is a contractual matter. Does the lease speak to the matter? If not, then I agree with Quincy's response.

MIKEPIN

The lease does not address this issue at all.

I am the landlord.

They were a tenant when we bought the property, so it is not my "contract".

Zigner

The lease does not address this issue at all.

I am the landlord.

They were a tenant when we bought the property, so it is not my "contract".
It actually is your contract...but I know what you mean.

Because it's not addressed in the lease, I agree with Quincy. All that is required is that you receive the property at the end of the lease in the same condition as it was at the beginning of the lease.

justalayman

It actually is your contract...but I know what you mean.

Because it's not addressed in the lease, I agree with Quincy. All that is required is that you receive the property at the end of the lease in the same condition as it was at the beginning of the lease.
This is a commercial property. Leaving it in the same condition as when it was first comtractors doesn’t always hold true for commercial leases. Sometimes the space is a big empty box to start and everything must be built out. A tenant is often not liable to demo the place back to what it was

While the network cabling may not be addressed specifically in the lease, I would hope buildout or alterations in general is addressed in the lease.

Zigner

This is a commercial property. Leaving it in the same condition as when it was first comtractors doesn’t always hold true for commercial leases. Sometimes the space is a big empty box to start and everything must be built out. A tenant is often not liable to demo the place back to what it was

While the network cabling may not be addressed specifically in the lease, I would hope buildout or alterations in general is addressed in the lease.
Fair enough...

quincy

Both the lease with the departing tenant and the purchase agreement with the previous owner should be reread to make sure the condition of the rental space/building is not addressed in more detail.

It still seems reasonable to me that the cables and patch panel would go with the business that (apparently) required their use for their business. The next tenant might be using the space for an entirely different purpose.

justalayman

Both the lease with the departing tenant and the purchase agreement with the previous owner should be reread to make sure the condition of the rental space/building is not addressed in more detail.

It still seems reasonable to me that the cables and patch panel would go with the business that (apparently) required their use for their business. The next tenant might be using the space for an entirely different purpose.
Personally, having installed hundreds if not thousands of miles of such cable and related infrastructure I find it odd the tenant wants the cable. It’s a mess to remove and it ends up a rats nest. There are individual pieces running from the patch panel to each jack (outlet)

I don’t know what sort of patch panel was installed but they are usually less than $100. Heck, the cost of removing the cable could exceed the cost of the cable. Typical cable is around a quarter per foot.

quincy

Personally, having installed hundreds if not thousands of miles of such cable and related infrastructure I find it odd the tenant wants the cable. It’s a mess to remove and it ends up a rats nest. There are individual pieces running from the patch panel to each jack (outlet)

I don’t know what sort of patch panel was installed but they are usually less than $100. Heck, the cost of removing the cable could exceed the cost of the cable. Typical cable is around a quarter per foot.
Maybe the departing commercial tenant will discover that and leave it all behind -and MIKE then will have a nicely equipped space for the next tenant (if the next tenant is looking for a space equipped with cables and a patch panel).

FarmerJ

Make sure your new tenants lease addresses changes they pay for to use the structure for their business , ( things like if the city says they have to have a handicap bathroom then its a permanent improvement ) or any other changes to floor plans, structure , mechanicals to remain with the building EG tenant needs a steam table, steam table plugs in , so the outlet needed is a permanent change that stays behind,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">