• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity and child support issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrsMancill

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, but the kids are in Alabama with their mom.
My husband and I have been married three years and we pay child support for the three children his wife has custody of. She has harrassed me through emails saying I'm the reason that her kids won't get what they want in life because I won't send her extra money. Their divorce was the result of many infidelities on her part and he is doubtful to some degree that they may be his. If he gets a paternity test done on them and it shows they're not, will the child support for that child stop? Can he tell the DA who he thinks the father may be and will they in turn get a paternity test from them? If the childs father is found, will the child support stop on our end then? I know these are a lot of questions, but I'm so tired of her yelling at me when I talk to her on the phone. I'm tired of being called names by her when she doesn't get her way. I'm tired of her telling my husband that I'm not important and he should not let "trivial small things" get in the way of their children. But when he calls, she rarely answers and says it's not her responsibility to make sure the kids call him. So, needless to say, he hardly gets to talk to them and they only call with questions she wants answers to and makes them call. How do I get out from under this woman legally!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no "we". Butt out. This is your husband's fight, not yours.
Even if, and or but!

LdiJ

You are not "under this woman, legally".

Just don't talk to her.

Let your hubbie handle his own business.
Excellent advice. In addition, its far too late for your husband to attempt any paternity challenge.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The time to challenge paternity was at the time of the divorce and quite frankly OP in regards to the children and child support YOU are NOT important. Those are legal facts. You need to accept that.

AHA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, but the kids are in Alabama with their mom.
My husband and I have been married three years and we pay child support for the three children his wife has custody of. She has harrassed me through emails saying I'm the reason that her kids won't get what they want in life because I won't send her extra money. Their divorce was the result of many infidelities on her part and he is doubtful to some degree that they may be his. If he gets a paternity test done on them and it shows they're not, will the child support for that child stop? Can he tell the DA who he thinks the father may be and will they in turn get a paternity test from them? If the childs father is found, will the child support stop on our end then? I know these are a lot of questions, but I'm so tired of her yelling at me when I talk to her on the phone. I'm tired of being called names by her when she doesn't get her way. I'm tired of her telling my husband that I'm not important and he should not let "trivial small things" get in the way of their children. But when he calls, she rarely answers and says it's not her responsibility to make sure the kids call him. So, needless to say, he hardly gets to talk to them and they only call with questions she wants answers to and makes them call. How do I get out from under this woman legally!!!
Since you are not a party to the parental issues between your husband and his ex, just don't communicate or interact with her. Leave that to your husband who has the responsibility.
The fact that his ex is badmouthing you to your husband is irrelevant, but if your husband doesn't defend you then that's his choice.
Why didn't he dispute paternity of the kids when they were born or at the divorce?
Stay away from the situation, it is your husband's problem and he needs to man up and deal with it.

Humusluvr

Since you are not a party to the parental issues between your husband and his ex, just don't communicate or interact with her. Leave that to your husband who has the responsibility.
The fact that his ex is badmouthing you to your husband is irrelevant, but if your husband doesn't defend you then that's his choice.
Why didn't he dispute paternity of the kids when they were born or at the divorce?
Stay away from the situation, it is your husband's problem and he needs to man up and deal with it.
There's a feature on emails where you send them to spam, or filter them so you don't have to read them.

Problem solved! OP, ignore her.

Let dad deal with mom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">