• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity laws for unwed parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

p9o2o7h

For N.J.

I recently saw a talk show in which a child custody lawyer said that for unwed fathers, paternity must be established before they are legally the father of the child. She said that even if he signs the birth certificate he is not legally the father. The father must petition for paternity through the court system. Does anyone know where I can get more information on this subject ?

L

LadyBlu

p9o2o7h said:
For N.J.

I recently saw a talk show in which a child custody lawyer said that for unwed fathers, paternity must be established before they are legally the father of the child. She said that even if he signs the birth certificate he is not legally the father. The father must petition for paternity through the court system. Does anyone know where I can get more information on this subject ?
Call your State Attorney General Office, they will give you the information and if needed send you the paperwork to get the ball rolling. Or you can hire a private Attorney.

LegalBeagle

p9o2o7h said:
For N.J.

Not completely true. At the time the mother and father can sign an affidavit of paternity (or something like that). Along with the names on the bc the father would legally be the father. Either party would then have approx 2 years to contest this. Legal action is only needed if there is a disagreement or the mother refused to participate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">