• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity Testing Myself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

h0rsepwr

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I need to get a paternity test done. I was looking online and found a bunch of sites that offer these tests to be sent to you and note that they are legal in a court room. Anyone know if I should order one of these? Say I do and I send it off and get my results back, at that moment does it become legal since paternity has been established or how does that work? I'm just a little confused about this. Thanks.

H

h0rsepwr

[/QUOTE][/i]Originally posted by pthalo
[/B]a paternity test involves three people, the child and the two parents... you need samples from all three to be accurate..

why do you need a paternity test and where is your case right now...

the courts will respect paternity tests doen by a liscensed agency or one that they order to do the tests (usually liscensed anyway)..
From my understanding I thought just the father and child needed to be involved, and that the mother was optional.
My case hasn't even begun yet, but I was wondering if I could get this test done now in order to save time for when the case does get underway...plus so I can have some rights of my daughter.

JaneyS4

I saw those online too. I question the legal recognization in court though. You should call someone and ask. It seems like it would be too easy to "fix", you know?

Oh and your right about mother being optional. My brothers dna test was strictly him and his daughter. Mom did not get one.

H

h0rsepwr

pthalo said:
for the test to have that high rate of 99.9% accurate all three parties should be tested... No matter what the baby needs to be tested... If your case hasn't begun, then the point at which you want to have the test done is either ASAP (if going for private certified testing.. ask the pediatrician) or when she files for child support (at that time she will name you as the father and you challenge it by asking for a genetic test)...

I hope this helps
But by challenging it, won't that hurt me in trying to get custody???? Our daughter is 3 and I want custody of her. Long story so I won't get into it, I just want to know about the testing. Also, will I be responsible for the outrageous costs if I challenge it?

H

h0rsepwr

pthalo said:
has paternity been established then.. if she is three, do you have any doubts to whether or not she is yours..

paternity should not affect custody unless of course you aren't the father...

if you know without a doubt that you are the father then you really don't need genetic testing done to prove you are the father.. once you and mom agree and sign papers that show that you both agree, then that is fairly binding...
no, paternity has never been established. Even though I signed a ****pot of papers at the hospital, my name's on the bitch certificate, she has my last name, yadda yadda... I do not deny she is mine, i mean, she looks exactly like me, so no I do not doubt it at all. I've just been told so many times that without this test, I have no rights, no matter what kinds of papers I signed.

JaneyS4

Without a dna test, mom can come back and dispute you as the father and put you through a whole bunch of crap. But if you are the father, in the end, she'll lose.

YOu have little to no rights as a punitive father, which means you haven't been recognized in a court of law as legal father. Depending on the law in your state, that could require a dna test, or it may just require an affidavit of paternity.

H

h0rsepwr

So theoretically I should just be able to go to the hospital and pay for a copy of all the paperwork I signed the day our daughter was born and that should be enough? (assuming that Illinois allows AOP instead of a DNA test)

JaneyS4

Sounds right to me. You can check the statutes of your state on paternity and it should say somewhere whether or not you need AOP or dna.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">