• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Patient Abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bridgewater1

A Kasiser doctor messed up my knee really bad by experimenting dry needling on me. He promised me he would work on it until it was fixed, but as soon as I crossed one year, he refused to ever see me again.

My knee got really bad, to the point I could not put any weight on it at all without significant pain. I asked for help, but the doctor refused.

I bought a cane and messed up my shoulder. So I then bought a knee scooter to get around.

I went to get a second opinion on my knee, but the second doctor was the first doctors buddy and right away the second doctor told me I am going to tell you the same thing as the first doctor, before he even inspected my knee.

My mom complained about the second doctor. Now the first doctor says because my mom filled a complaint the department refuses to see me at all.

Now my hip is hurting really bad for riding a knee scooter for 5 months and I just got an x-ray which shows I now have a messed-up hip. So now I bought a wheelchair.

I begged for help, but the physical medicine department refuses, they say if I want any further help I have to drive to a different Kaiser over an hour away, which I cannot do because I am now in a wheelchair and cannot drive in my current condition and have to get someone to take me.

I have other physical medicine issues as well and I cannot get into the department I need.

I called some lawyers, but they just tell me this is not the type of case they take. Any recommendations?

quincy

A Kasiser doctor messed up my knee really bad by experimenting dry needling on me. He promised me he would work on it until it was fixed, but as soon as I crossed one year, he refused to ever see me again.

My knee got really bad, to the point I could not put any weight on it at all without significant pain. I asked for help, but the doctor refused.

I bought a cane and messed up my shoulder. So I then bought a knee scooter to get around.

I went to get a second opinion on my knee, but the second doctor was the first doctors buddy and right away the second doctor told me I am going to tell you the same thing as the first doctor, before he even inspected my knee.

My mom complained about the second doctor. Now the first doctor says because my mom filled a complaint the department refuses to see me at all.

Now my hip is hurting really bad for riding a knee scooter for 5 months and I just got an x-ray which shows I now have a messed-up hip. So now I bought a wheelchair.

I begged for help, but the physical medicine department refuses, they say if I want any further help I have to drive to a different Kaiser over an hour away, which I cannot do because I am now in a wheelchair and cannot drive in my current condition and have to get someone to take me.

I have other physical medicine issues as well and I cannot get into the department I need.

I called some lawyers, but they just tell me this is not the type of case they take. Any recommendations?
It sounds as if you desperately need another doctor to examine you and your medical records.

I recommend you find another doctor who can provide you with an objective opinion, even if the only doctor you can see is an hour's drive away. You should line up in advance someone to drive you to the appointment.

Good luck.

Didn't the fact that no lawyer will take your case give you a clue as to the likely outcome of any lawsuit?
And your, and your mothers, constant complaining about your doctor may be the reason he want's nothing more to do with you.
I know this is at a tangent but I worked in the auto industry for many years and we would sometimes get the customer who came in for a simple repair, and after the repair would be back blaming us for everything that was now wrong with his car. "It was fine before you 'fixed' it", was the standard rhetoric.
After that we wouldn't let them in the door even for an oil change because it just wasn't worth it. Your former doctor may be of a similar mindset.

Bridgewater1

Didn't the fact that no lawyer will take your case give you a clue as to the likely outcome of any lawsuit?
And your, and your mothers, constant complaining about your doctor may be the reason he want's nothing more to do with you.
I know this is at a tangent but I worked in the auto industry for many years and we would sometimes get the customer who came in for a simple repair, and after the repair would be back blaming us for everything that was now wrong with his car. "It was fine before you 'fixed' it", was the standard rhetoric.
After that we wouldn't let them in the door even for an oil change because it just wasn't worth it. Your former doctor may be of a similar mindset.
Patient abandonment is a real medical malpractice case, however its not as big as a doctor messing up your body, so most law firms want the big cases. They also lack experience with such a case, so another reason they don’t want it. But it does not mean its not just. To be honest I just want help and they are refusing to help me.

quincy

Patient abandonment is a real medical malpractice case, however its not as big as a doctor messing up your body, so most law firms want the big cases. They also lack experience with such a case, so another reason they don’t want it. But it does not mean its not just. To be honest I just want help and they are refusing to help me.
Rarely would it be the case that a doctor is forced to see a particular patient.

I see no supportable malpractice claim in what you have stated here but an Internet forum is not the proper place to determine this.

You need to get another doctor to examine you and your medical records and, depending on this doctor's findings, you could then see if you can interest an attorney in helping you.

Malpractice attorneys generally will offer free initial consultations if there is anything in a person's tale that indicates a lawsuit might be pursued with success.

I hope your various and assorted ailments can eventually be relieved. Good luck.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Patient abandonment is a real medical malpractice case, however its not as big as a doctor messing up your body, so most law firms want the big cases.
You didn't specify in what state this is taking place, and that matters as state laws do vary. However, no federal law nor the law of any state I'm familiar with imposes a duty on a doctor to continue to treat a patient throughout the entire course of treatment. For the most part, at least in most states, the doctor is free to cease doing business with you much like any other business may do, subject to a few limitations, notably that the doctor must at least continue prescribing necessary medications to cover a period of at least 30 days to allow you time to find a new doctor and that the doctor generally must cooperate in providing copies of your medical records to the new doctor.

Just Blue

You didn't specify in what state this is taking place, and that matters as state laws do vary. However, no federal law nor the law of any state I'm familiar with imposes a duty on a doctor to continue to treat a patient throughout the entire course of treatment. For the most part, at least in most states, the doctor is free to cease doing business with you much like any other business may do, subject to a few limitations, notably that the doctor must at least continue prescribing necessary medications to cover a period of at least 30 days to allow you time to find a new doctor and that the doctor generally must cooperate in providing copies of your medical records to the new doctor.
Bridgewater1 was told in another thread that naming the state was required here. Per that thread B1 is in Washington.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">