• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Patient Confidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melodythompson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I own a massage therapy business. I have an independent contractor working for me who is a certified massage therapist and also a licensed esthetician. She was previously employed by a chiropractor doing massages. She did not sign a non-compete with them. When she started working for me I sent a letter of introduction to my clients, her friends and family and some of her previous clients. We obtained the addresses for her previous clients on the internet. It was simply an introduction, listing her qualifications and what she will be doing. Her previous employer has now sent a letter saying that we cannot contact any of her previous clients due to HIIPA. Is this true? We did not use any information from the files of the chiropractor. Some of them have come to her for facials and massages. They have said if she has any further contact of any kind (including conversations), they will sue her and me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">