• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Patient not told he had Hep C

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I went to a clinic for stomach pain. Blood work was done. I was not told results. but I was immediately transferred to hospital for removal of gallbladder. During 4 day stay I had blood work done everyday and told everything looked good. Several months later I went to my physician and as he looked through the chart he was shocked to find I tested positive for chronic Hepatitis C, but nowhere on the chart did it indicate I was told. I was not told. I called the clinic and asked why I was not told and no followup done. They said it was the hospital's responsibility since they took over my care. I called the hospital and they said it was the responsibility of the doctor who ordered the tests.The clinic doctor. Who dropped the ball? I was not told I had Hepatitis C and no one followed through with providing me medical help, treatment or sending me to another doctor for treatment. I went nearly 1 year without treatment. Does this meet the standard of malpractice?

quincy

Was. Retired 30 years ago.
You say "he" in your title but I understand from your posting history that you are a "she." Was this just a typing error?

If you see a doctor annually, you would most likely have been made aware that you had chronic hepatitis C. A blood test would have detected it.

Although the virus in its early stages often displays no worrisome symptoms, I do still question why you learned of the hepatitis C only after your trip to the hospital for gallbladder surgery.

The blood test at the clinic might have tested positive for hepatitis C antibodies but the antibodies alone only show that you were at one time infected with the hepatitis C virus.

There is no treatment for the acute form of the virus and it often clears on its own after a few months. It is chronic hepatitis C if the virus has not cleared within 6 months. There are several drugs available to effectively treat (and cure) the chronic form of hepatitis C.

Before thinking about a lawsuit, I recommend you speak to your doctor about the blood test results and then get your blood retested.

You can consult with a medical malpractice attorney after you learn more about the blood test results and what they mean. The initial appointment with the attorney should be free and most med-mal attorneys take cases on a contingency basis (you don't pay unless you are successful with your suit).

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">