• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay monthly premium for Additional Living Expense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Apparently the vacancy issue was settled (as I thought it should be) and the claim is being paid.
:)

By the way, I wish I could double like post #11 in this thread.

I don't know what happened. All I know I was knocked down and woke up with all the mess. When I said there are dirt and paint everywhere throughout the house... I think they used paint gun and dirt leaf blower.
Have you had an MRI since this happened?

RegPlus

The $ 6,161.38 is the FIRST payment to you after adjusting for RECOVERABLE depreciation and your deductible.

Cool... thank you for explaining.

Find yourself a contractor who routinely works insurance claims and he will know how to get a down payment from you to start the repairs and coordinate with your insurance company as to getting paid when the repairs are done. Your insurance company might even be willing to allow a draw down of the balance in increments while various stages of work is being completed. No guarantees, of course, but it's not unheard of.

Well I am trying to get a contractor in southern Illinois. If I don't get any help from them. Then I will get Lowe's to do everything. And get a maid to scrub down and use a suction to vacuum up all the dirt there. And hire an independent painter to remove blob of paint.

The insurance company will send me the $6,000 in the mail????

Assuming you can properly document those expenses there should be no reason why your Additional Living Expenses wouldn't cover them though I would probably some issue with whatever your mother provided for you. All you can do is submit your documentation to the adjuster and see how it goes.

She is really not my mother. We just call her mother. Because she acts like one.
Anyway, I am in Mississippi, just to visit my Aunt in the nursing home.

And I told the adjuster that I will need money to travel to Illinois and to get months of hotel ($150 a day)... maybe help me get a car rental... to get the house repair done quickly.

Thank you, AdjusterJack.

adjusterjack

Well I am trying to get a contractor in southern Illinois. If I don't get any help from them. Then I will get Lowe's to do everything. And get a maid to scrub down and use a suction to vacuum up all the dirt there. And hire an independent painter to remove blob of paint.
Make sure you get receipts and invoices for everything.

The insurance company will send me the $6,000 in the mail????
Should be on its way but call your adjuster and find out.

She is really not my mother. We just call her mother. Because she acts like one.
Anyway, I am in Mississippi, just to visit my Aunt in the nursing home.

And I told the adjuster that I will need money to travel to Illinois
I doubt if your adjuster will pay for your trip back to Illinois. I wouldn't. Your house is in Illinois. To qualify for temporary lodging that lodging would have to be local to your house.

and to get months of hotel ($150 a day)...
That's not going to fly either. If your house is uninhabitable, and you actually do need temporary lodging, there are other ways to get it without spending $4500 per month on a hotel.

As for "months" I don't think so. There are restoration companies that do that kind of work in a matter of days, maybe a week or two and they do it on an emergency basis. Google restoration companies for your city, read their reviews, pick one.

maybe help me get a car rental... to get the house repair done quickly.
Rental car isn't likely to get paid for either. Restoration companies come to you and do all the work. If you don't have a car of your own you'll be expected to use the same transportation methods that you normally used pre-loss. In a pinch I might reimburse you for an occasional taxi or Uber ride, but not a long term rental.

You really should be talking to your adjuster about what's allowable and what's not, and work within those parameters.

RegPlus

Make sure you get receipts and invoices for everything.

Should be on its way but call your adjuster and find out.

I doubt if your adjuster will pay for your trip back to Illinois. I wouldn't. Your house is in Illinois. To qualify for temporary lodging that lodging would have to be local to your house.

That's not going to fly either. If your house is uninhabitable, and you actually do need temporary lodging, there are other ways to get it without spending $4500 per month on a hotel.

As for "months" I don't think so. There are restoration companies that do that kind of work in a matter of days, maybe a week or two and they do it on an emergency basis. Google restoration companies for your city, read their reviews, pick one.

Rental car isn't likely to get paid for either. Restoration companies come to you and do all the work. If you don't have a car of your own you'll be expected to use the same transportation methods that you normally used pre-loss. In a pinch I might reimburse you for an occasional taxi or Uber ride, but not a long term rental.

You really should be talking to your adjuster about what's allowable and what's not, and work within those parameters.
wow. I didn't know all of this.

adjusterjack

wow. I didn't know all of this.
Now you do.

If you need more discussion about anything just come back to this thread and ask. I'm here every day.

And talk to your adjuster. He's the horse's mouth. He may be as busy as a termite in a saw mill but he should be able to take a few minutes to explain things to you. If not, well, you've got me.

RegPlus

Now you do.

If you need more discussion about anything just come back to this thread and ask. I'm here every day.

And talk to your adjuster. He's the horse's mouth. He may be as busy as a termite in a saw mill but he should be able to take a few minutes to explain things to you. If not, well, you've got me.
He took a whole week off for Thanksgiving. He probably is taking off another whole week for Christmas. Sigh. I think he knows that I don't know much about insurance. Even my mother (aged 76) didn't know that she has to contact the company to discuss about auto insurance info. Their driver (truck) hit her bumper and put a hole in it. Glad my cousin told her to do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">