• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pay raise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Kenny J

after completing 1 year (2/98) at my job, I received my evaluation. My evaluation indicates that I should receive a merit increase in pay which is generally 5%. I checked my personnel packet, and found no evaluation. I personally have a copy of my evaluation. On 10/6/99, we now have a new owner and boss of the company and they have given me that 5% raise. Can I ask for my 5% back pay from the old company from 2/98 to 10/5/99.


Senior Member
You can ask, but raises are voluntary and not a matter of right -- absent a contract or union -- and the old company would probably laugh. But it costs only 33 cents to ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential