• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay while traveling and working

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whirld

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I am looking for some advise. I am traveling to work in Arizona from Massachusetts. I will be flying in on a Friday and working for a few days. Then I will have several week days off that I would normally be working. Then I will work for about 10 days and fly home. I am getting paid to travel, I will be receiving a per diem for each day I am there but have been told that I will not be paid for the week days I would normally be working. A HR friend of mine told me that this was not normal, since I am traveling and can not easily return home I am essentially waiting for my employer regardless of what I am doing. I have tried researching the forum and internet but have not had much luck so far. Thanks for any help in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I am looking for some advise. I am traveling to work in Arizona from Massachusetts. I will be flying in on a Friday and working for a few days. Then I will have several week days off that I would normally be working. Then I will work for about 10 days and fly home. I am getting paid to travel, I will be receiving a per diem for each day I am there but have been told that I will not be paid for the week days I would normally be working. A HR friend of mine told me that this was not normal, since I am traveling and can not easily return home I am essentially waiting for my employer regardless of what I am doing. I have tried researching the forum and internet but have not had much luck so far. Thanks for any help in advance.
Why would you be paid for not working?

whirld

Why would you be paid for not working?
Well for the amount of time I am gone I will work less hours that I would normally, if I were working at my normal location. Since we are traveling its not a simple matter of going home for a few days. I know in the past when work has been slow we have sent shop employees home for a few days and they are entitled to collect for that time. I am just unclear on how this works.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well for the amount of time I am gone I will work less hours that I would normally, if I were working at my normal location. Since we are traveling its not a simple matter of going home for a few days. I know in the past when work has been slow we have sent shop employees home for a few days and they are entitled to collect for that time. I am just unclear on how this works.
By law, they are not entitled to collect. Perhaps there is an internal policy...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are non-exempt, you have no legal expectation of being paid when you are not working, with limited exceptions that do not apply here.

What is "normal" is irrelevant. The law does not care what is normal, only what is legal. Not to mention that "normal" is in the eye of the beholder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">