• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

payback relocation expeses? - exposure to unexploded ordinance not in job description

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rexbanner

What is the name of your state? Colorado with job location in Hawaii

The job description I was presented with when I agreed to accept the position in Hawaii made no mention of field work or exposure to unexploded ordinance (UXO). It was presented to me as a managerial "administrative professional" office type job. The entire area in which the field work is performed is designated by the military as UXO or dud impact area.

Question: since the field work and UXO exposure (for which I was required to take a UXO mitigation and training class after arrival here in Hawaii), are conditions an average office worker would not expect exposure to, and since these conditions were not mentioned in the job description or in verbal communication, if I leave this position, will I likely be required to pay back the moving expenses?

UXO is defined as: Unexploded ordnance (or UXOs) are explosive weapons (bombs, shells, grenades, etc.) that did not explode as intended when they were employed, and still pose a risk of detonation, decades after the battles (training) in which they were used.

For reference, here is the text of my job description and my agreement

Job Description
GIS Analyst (Research Associate) position available with [institution] to be assigned at Schofield Barracks, on the island of Oahu, Hawaii, to manage all aspects of the [institution] program_s Geographic Information System.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: BS/BA in geography, natural resource management, or environmental science or closely related discipline with GIS coursework. At least three years related professional experience with supervisory and program management components. Experience with ArcGIS 9.x. Experience with GIS database development and ESRI ArcGIS Geodatabases. Appointment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.

DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS IN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA: M.S. in field listed above. Professional experience in the application of GIS to land management. Experience working with Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure, and the Environment (SDSFIE). Experience in spatial analysis, modeling, and digital cartography. Experience working with remotely sensed multi-spectral data. Knowledge of military training requirements. Excellent written and oral communication skills.

RESPONSIBILITIES: Perform duties as GIS Coordinator. The GIS Coordinator works with and under the direction of the Coordinator, who sets program priorities and interfaces with other installation personnel. Manage all aspects of the GIS to support the program. Supervise two GIS Technicians. Develop and implement GIS management plans. Update and maintain all hardware, software, and network interface with the LAN. Develop and maintain SDSFIE compliant geo-databases and FGDC-compliant metadata. Perform spatial analysis and modeling for management of military training areas and ranges as deemed applicable. Determine the need for acquisition of remotely sensed or other data necessary for GIS application for program related projects. Develop, use, and manipulate a variety of data layers including but not limited to: US Geological Survey quadrangle mapping, soils, topography, training areas, ranges, cultural resources, vegetative communities, and location of threatened/endangered species. Produce a variety of GIS products including but not limited to: analysis, reports, maps and other documentation of GIS analysis for reports and presentations. Evaluate technology for potential use, recommend use of new technology and implement technology found to be justified. Participate in intra-agency, private, and public interest meetings concerning technical issues as they relate to GIS applications.

Agreement​

I am pleased to offer you the Administrative Professional position of Research Associate , GIS Analyst at company name, effective April x, 2007. This offer has the approval of the Provost and Senior Vice President, acting under the authority delegated to him by the Board of Governors, institution University's governing board.

This is a full-time, special appointment at a starting salary of $60,000 plus benefits. Your appointment is with the company name and is assigned to Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, and your duties will be as described in the job description. This position is contingent upon funding for the GIS efforts at Schofield Barracks. Pursuant to State Statute, C.R.S. 24-19-104, all administrative professionals are "employees at will" and their employment is subject to termination by either party at any time, although a termination cannot be for a reason that is contrary to applicable Federal, State, or local law.

Please familiarize yourself with the policies and regulations
in the Academic Faculty and Administrative Professional Manual that may be accessed at
Sections D and J are especially significant, as they outline the responsibilities and expectations for administrative professionals. Section G of the Manual describes Privileges and Benefits, and Section F of the Manual describes [institution] Leave policies. Also please review the benefits manual.

--section detailing moving expenses--
[institution] will pay all reasonable relocation costs as you move to Hawaii. You will need to secure at least two guaranteed bids from moving companies and get prior approval for the moving expenses. Included in the financial limits stated above would be reasonable costs of your visit(s) to Hawaii to look for housing. [institution] is prepared to assist with your relocation and moving expenses in the amount of $5,000. Certain payments are subject to IRS reporting and/or withholding, because they are a taxable benefit to the employee.

Payments cannot be made prior to the official start date of the appointment. In the event that you choose to relinquish your position, for reasons within your control, before your one-year anniversary date, you will be required to reimburse the [institution] for all moving and relocation expenses, including in-kind services.

I appreciate your willingness to accept this important and challenging assignment. I look forward to working with you to enhance the quality of our programs at [institution]. To confirm your acceptance of this position, please sign below and return the original with your employment forms by April x, 2007. Please retain a copy for your records.

I accept your offer of the aforementioned position:
Signature DateWhat is the name of your state?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">