• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying for college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Are there any legal loop holes in declaring your independence from your parents? (other then marriage, military service, etc)



I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Off the top of my head:

1. Over 18 -- no longer under mom and dad's authority unless you live with them/going to college and they still claim you as a dependent.

If such is the case (they claim as you a dependent) and you are going to school, apply for loans and cards in your own name. Cancel everything you have with them (address, possible shared family cards--take your name off) and that is that.

2. If under 18 -- emancipation-- which takes a very long time and difficult process.

Hope this helps.


I think financial aid requires you to report your parent's income even if you claim you are independent, as long as you're under 24. Look at the financial aid application & see if emancipation will help you.

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential